Bugler Position requirements

Are there "official" requirements for the bugler position? I seem to remember when my son did it reading that they had to be working on or have completed the bugling merit badge but I can't find anything online saying that except for a manual for one troop. I guess maybe I read that way back and thought it reflected an official position.

Carole

From the bugler Merit Badge book,

#6 Serve as bugler in your troop for three months.

Our Troop used another Troops requirements/responsibility (be flexible on bugler's experience - attempts at calls are better than none, IMO).

Wiki says:

Responsibilities

* Makes appropriate bugle calls, as requested, at troop/team activities.

Notes

1. Serving as Bugler can apply towards positions of responsibility requirements for Star and Life but not Eagle.

2. In many troops/teams the Bugler plays a trumpet instead of a bugle.

3. Serving as Bugler is a requirement for Bugling Merit Badge.

4. Being able to play a bugle or trumpet can be used towards requirement 1 of Music Merit Badge: Sing or play a simple song or hymn chosen by your counselor using good technique, phrasing, tone, rhythm, and dynamics. Read all the signs and terms of the score.

5. Boy Scouts or Venturers who are members of bands, drill teams, or drum and bugle corps affiliated with a unit or a local council may also wear the musician badge special insignia.(This message has been edited by dg98adams)

In our troop, the bugler is required to be active in our troop, attend PLCs, attend campouts & summer camp, and attend training activities. This is pretty much the same for all PORs. In addition, they are to either have or be actively working on the bugling MB, and play the bugle at formal events (such as COHs) and at more formal camps (like Summer camp - not backpacking or canoe trips).

I always enjoy hearing a new bugler play at their first COH. You bnever know what is going to come out of that bugle.

(As others have mentioned, they can use a bugle or trumpet as they prefer).