Humanism mentioned in Physical Wellness training?

I am taking the Physical Wellness training now offered on the BSA Online Training Center (because otherwise my training coordinator will hunt me down and badger me to death), and in the spirituality section they mention Humanism as an acceptable form of spirituality. In the same section, they talk about the connections between spirituality and reverence.

Unless I'm mistaken, many humanists (most?) consider themselves to be agnostic, and none are thrilled with organized religion, when did this slip into the program?

Not that I have any problem with Humanism, Humanists are some of the finest people around.

Agnosticism has never been grounds for questioning scouts regarding reference. An agnostic is simply not sure, but is searching for something greater than themselves. As such, they are not denying God's existence, only searching for how he/she fits into their beliefs comfortably. So, it makes sense that humanism would be listed as an acceptable belief in this training.

The big controversy is the mistaken idea that somehow Scouting is based on a narrow, basically Christian foundation. And that has never been the case. Unfortunately, there have been some individuals on a national level who have misspoken regarding interpretation of God and reverence in the program; and they have abetted the people who so enjoy finding fault with Scouting for its spirituality tenet.

Just my thoughts and opinion.

In my opinion,

Agnostics believe that the existence of God (or gods, or any diety) is not provable or unprovable. Nothing about their own "sureness" wrt God.

With that definition one may be an atheist and an agnostic or a Christian and an agnostic.

Humanists are very welcome in Scouting, and organized religion is not required. Program slip, not a chance.

Spirituality is a must, as is a belief in the divine, or the program does not make sense ... thus the exclusion of atheists.

Scouting does not support one belief system over any other. What scouting does is support belief in the divine and promote spiritual growth, passing no judgments.

Our membership is, or should be, as diverse as the schools, work places, and communities around us. It is very important that young people learn to work with, and lean from, people of all beliefs, cultures, and backgrounds.

This is puzzling to me too, since Humanists do not believe in God nor do they have a duty to God. Are they a religion? The Supreme Court says so, that they are " a religion that does not believe in God". Are they reverent? I'd say so. They have a deep respect for man and his reason and ethnics. Are they spiritual? They believe is the spirit of man.

To be consistent, the BSA would have to drop "duty to God" from the Oath in order to allow Humanists.

Regardless, I welcome them.

My $0.02