Counting the Same Activity Towards Two Awards?

I am volunteering this weekend for a Habitat for Humanity build. Can I use the build day to earn my 100 Annivarsary Community Service ribbon, and also apply the hours towards the Good Turn for America award? Do I have to select one over the other or work another weekend to count towards both? Is this "conflict" in writing anywhere?

thanks

By all means, double dip on service. 100th Anniversary bit is really meant to dovetail with an active program, not give an assigned list of things to accomplish seperate from all other activities.

could you imagine? i'm sorry john, you haven't camped enough for camping merit badge, you still have two weekends left because we needed to use them for the centennial award.

I've got an overzealous parent in the troop who came to me last week asking how she could get all those things done for her son before spring break... or did they need to be done "with the troop". eep!

Thanks Bulldog. That's what I was hoping for.

I was also looking at the requirements for my Leave No Trace award, beacuse the same clean-up activity I did for that award would also work towards the community service ribbon. Setting up a Denner position works for the Leadership ribbon, and the national Den Award. And Character Connection discussions done as part f achievements qualify for the Character ribon as well.

On a side note, I did read on the 100yr web site that any activity done after May 2009 can count towards the ribbons even though the ribbons didn't really come out until this fall. That gives quite a bit of summer activities to use.

By all means, multi task your activities. If you are going on a hike, you can bring some trash bags for a trash treasure hunt, discuss the principles of Leave No Trace and practice them during the outing, find a geocache along the way, identify plants or wildlife along the way to work on an achievement, etc. Your participants end up with a hiking segment, a partial toward the LNT award, an appropriate amount of time attributed to a service project, a rank achievement, etc. As Bulldog indicated, your service can count toward a centennial award, Good Turn for America, a rank achievement, and possibly the CS World Conservation Award.

Pat

Depends.

What exactly do you mean by two awards?

If one single activity is done...such as you help buld a house, then whan you use it, you have used it.

But as some have shown above..If you go to a park, and clean it up, then have lunch and clean it completely ( under LNT) then go hiking after ward around the park... I see 3 different activities in one event.

LOL! I just realized you had two similar, but different posts.

In the other, I commented:

It really is a tough call and depends on your particular activity.

We did the scouting for food. This can easily be considered a citizenship activity, but likewise, we can cout our citizenship activities towards Good Turn for America too.

But then you have my son, who in the last 2 1/2 months finished enough requirements and electives to recieve his Bear badge as well as a gold and silver arrow points.

If we were working on an achievement and completed the required 5 out of 7, we can not use the other two as elective requirements NOR can we count the activities used as requirements as electives at the same time.

So, pretty much.. it depends on what you are doing!

It would seem to depend on whether you're about "earning awards" or "community service".

"The other day I was speaking with an official of the League of Nations, and I asked him, "How is the old league getting on?" His reply was, "All right, but it can never function fully until the time arrives when its members are men who have been trained as Boy Scouts." This answer rather took me aback, and I said, "Do you mean that they should go into camp and cook their own grub?" He said, "No, not that; but the only school I know of that teaches service as a first rule of life is the Boy Scout Movement." Baden-Powell (January 1924)

Let me get this straight......your going to count one service project for two bobbles for your shirt.

Bulldog, I would hope that counting camping nights isn't an issue. If it is get that troop outdoors.

I don't like double dipping. True a scout is Thrifty, but he is also trustworthy. The spirit of scouting isn't to short cut. Just my opinion.

I disapprove of double-dipping as well. Too often, I see scouts and their parents playing the game of maximizing awards gained by applying least effort. This is contrary to the Scout Spirit - the way we live up to the ideals of scouting by helping others (not ourselves).

My $0.02

My answer is: It depends.

Years ago, EagleSon was J-staff for district day camp. That was a 40 man-hour experience for him. He was in middle school at the time, he needed a summer community service project as part of the coming school year.

He was also in confirmation at the time, and needed 30 community service hours as part of Pastor's curriculum there.

10 hours went to the school, 30 hours to the parish. For generating the ethic of service to others (part of that Character Aim of Scouting), a kid willing to do a full week of day camp as J-staff is learning.

Now, Ordeal workday for OA as unit service hours for Star? I've got deeper problem. That's the matter of using the same hours twice.

Cubs? Do your best. I'd like to see more Den and Pack service activities, to show the kids collectively that groups get things done.

My answer is: It depends.

Years ago, EagleSon was J-staff for district day camp. That was a 40 man-hour experience for him. He was in middle school at the time, he needed a summer community service project as part of the coming school year.

He was also in confirmation at the time, and needed 30 community service hours as part of Pastor's curriculum there.

10 hours went to the school, 30 hours to the parish. For generating the ethic of service to others (part of that Character Aim of Scouting), a kid willing to do a full week of day camp as J-staff is learning.

Now, Ordeal workday for OA as unit service hours for Star? I've got deeper problem. That's the matter of using the same hours twice.

Cubs? Do your best. I'd like to see more Den and Pack service activities, to show the kids collectively that groups get things done.

IMO, double dipping on the community service aspect, in particular of this award is diminishing its meaning. After all, National is logging all the hours by requiring you to register them online before receiving the ribbons. Make it special for them... something they will remember being part of and make sure they know why they are doing it. Don't be so eager to check them all off... it does not have to be completed until December. There are ample opportunities to use rank specific achievements to earn other portions of the award.

I'm with John... it depends.

But as an example I would not let a guy use the same 6 hours of service toward both rank advancement and citizenship in the community (CIC). Now one scout did 30 hours at his church and split it between star advancement (6 hours), CIC (8 hours) with the rest toward school hours (Key Club I think). That was okay by me, to allocate the hours. But, I would not allow him to work 8 hours and count it for 3 different things.

Doing multiple activities while on a campout as mentioned in posts above is just good use of the weekend. You get a couple of nights camped, maybe earn a rank requirement, maybe earn a backpacking & camping MB requirement all on the same trip. It is not "double dipping" in my book to backpack 15-20 miles (backpack MB), demonstrate using the water filter & stove (camping MB); camp two nights (camping MB); idendify plants or animals (rank advancement); participate in a troop event (rank advancement).

(This message has been edited by knot head)(This message has been edited by knot head)