Scout Executive - Job Requirements

I was perusing our councils job opening for a Scout Executive. First, the pay is quite low for a 4 year degree ($32K) but one of the skills they were looking for in the area of "MODE OF OPERATION" was - Be efficient at backdating and planning. Why does that sound strange to me? Do I have a misunderstanding of backdating?

ACCO,

You mean DISTRICT exec right?

As far as the BACKDATING and Planning goes, it is VERY important as a lot of what DE's do is running around with their heads chopped off ;) LOL

Seriously though, backdating is being able to say ok Event A is Z date. Z -10 days get B done. Z -30 days order patches, Z -45 days, etc. One of the tools they hand out at PDL 1 is "the WHEEL" with, if memory serves, all 365 days on it, and spots to tell you when -45 days and -90 days are at on it. VERY useful tool.

As for planning, it is very important as well, as it can be an extremely hectioc schedule, esp as you move up to DD or FD positions and you must fill in for a missing DE.

Planning and backdating is just about the basis of all you do in Scouting anyway! Just as one FOS campaign finishes, another begins, so while you're executing, leading and managing one campaign, two others are in the mix. While your youth and adults are at camp during the summer, you're planning and backdating all of the recruitment events for fall, and any fall fundraisers. While the recruiting is happening, you're planning for your winter kick-off for district and leadership FOS and organizing last minute fundraisers... In the winter and spring while you're working fundraising so the council can pay for summer camps, you're already planning spring recruitments, managing camporees, and visiting charter organizations, delivering speeches to institutional heads and Rotary clubs... It's a continuous cycle that requires much organization, lots of working on your own, and incredible presentation skills. Not to mention, knowing your volunteers, how to become their partner and friend, and serving every unit in the district!

I am a former DE from the early 90's....I jokingly (well....almost seriously) refer to myself as a failed DE. It is not an easy job....I liken it to being a minister.

My district is extremely fortunate to have an outstanding DE. He is so good that he will be gone one day soon but our district will be better for his being here.