At a recent roundtable, two of our Scouters received a Certificate of Merit from the council for donating more than 20 gallons of blood. It occurs to me that that kind of very long-term dedicated giving deserves more than a certificate. I'm sure countless lives have been saved by their service.

Would it not be reasonable to provide a Medal of Merit (at least) for donating 5, 10, 15, 20, or whatever is deemed a reasonable target? What would be the positive and negative arguments? I think a partnership with the BSA and the Red Cross (or the like) would be a win-win. Where's the negative side to that? Setting an example for our peers and our youth would be a plus. To me, saying "This knot is for donating 10 gallons of blood over a period of 17 years" means more than saying "I got this knot for calling 911 when I was 7 years old."

Some may say this would open the flood gates for knots for any old thing. Others may say calling 911 is a form of heroism, and simply going to a donation center 6 times a year for 15 years is a way of punching a clock to buy a knot ... certainly not worthy of a heroism award.

What do you say?

BDPT00

"The Medal of Merit is awarded to Scouts and Scouters who have performed some act of meritorious service above and beyond that normally expected of a youth or adult member of the Boy Scouts of America. This act may involve a lifesaving effort, but is not confined to lifesaving. It may also be awarded for any meritorious action using some aspect of Scouting skills or learning."

Well, 20 gallons of blood is certainly above and beyond what is normally expected! So what would be" the action using some aspect of Scouting skill or learning"? A Scout is Helpful? A Scout is Brave (if you're afraid of needles)? I'm on the bone marrow registry, if I'm lucky enough to give bone marrow should I expect a medal?

I also cannot give due to time spent in Europe in the 1980s and the fear of Mad Cow.

Sorry if this is off topic, but before I was stationed in Germany, I donated over a gallon of blood and even after I came back I donated on several occasions. I was out of the habit for many years and have now been told I cannot donate. If the risk is that great (I have never heard of anyone in the US or anywhere contracting mad cow disease from a donar), is there no blood donation program in Europe due to concerns of transmitting mad cow disease? Do Europeans need to import their donated blood from contries where there is little or no risk of this catastrophic widespread epidemic?

I'm something short of 15 gallons and have been a donor since I was first eligible at 16. My Eagle project was a Bloodmobile, back in the day when the scouts did everything but actually stick people with needles.

But somehow that doesn't seem quite right. Logically, I can justify it. Twenty gallons is 30 years of regular donations. And there are BSA awards for all sorts of service, not just in Scouting. But are we going to honor 30 years of service to the Kiawanis Club? Build a house for Habitat for Humanity?

I used to donate blood every time the red cross came to the high school I attended.

Of course, I did it for other reasons: We get out of the class of our choice, and still get credit for attending that class. No brainer for math or english III.

I still gavre blood on occasion untilmy cancer prevented it. The cancer is gone, but the restriction isn't.

An award? Nah. A BSA collar pin (kinda like what the red cross gives out) ..why not?

I think it's really up to the council to pursue the nomination with the National Court of Honor. The certificate of merit is given by councils regularly, but if they don't see fit to move it up the line, it won't get there.

20 gallons is amazing. What dedication! I only had given a gallon before I became ill and can't donate anymore, but I cherish those that do!