Howdy! from West Texas

Howdy, all!

I just signed up after finding the forum searching for some information. I've learned a lot in the past few days.

I'm currently serving as a Troop Committee Chair for a smallish LDS troop. At the moment we're helping two other congregations get new troops on their feet, so our troop consists of patrols in 3 separate areas that are a good 2+ hour's drive from end to end. We're also trying to rebuild our end of the program after losing most of our boys and leader to a better employment opportunity elsewhere. I have a real go getter Scoutmaster (SR 839 Antelope) and some motivated Committee Members with knowledge and experience with Scouting. We also enjoy the support of our Branch President who is a Lifer and old school Fox. We're doing the best we can with what we have, and we're making progress.

I started in Scouts as a youth, but never made it past Tenderfoot because I couldn't swim. I did progress from Bobcat through Arrow of Light before I crossed over and stalled out in Scouting. I still maintained my interest and love of the program, and switched to an Explorer Post with my JROTC unit.

I've remained involved with Scouts off and on as an adult, and have really had to dive in the past few years. I was sent to Wood Badge training this past fall (SR839, Britton's Beavers) and I'm still working my ticket. I'm planning to stay involved with Scouts one way or another no matter where I go.

Thanks for having such a great forum available so I can pick a brain at all hours and know that I'm not the only one trying to get a honest to goodness boy run troop to function.