While this is a great endeavor, I do not see how it is really an Eagle project. Eagle projects are not supposed to be done for the Scouts, but for community groups, schools, and so on. Maybe it is acceptable because it is public art???

Sure sounds to me like a major league fund raising project. I wonder what the leadership was.... organizing other fundraisers?

Allow me to quote from an article...

"Tom has organized the Scouts to canvas the neighborhoods of Wood Cross City passing out flyers to get donations. Tom has made presentations in Scout roundtables and continues to meet with individuals and business for contributions." At the time of the writing, 56 of the contributions were for $500 (this gets a name on the plaque). "Tom himself, not only contributed the first $500 to the monument, but has contributed an additional $3500 to include the names of seven of his Scout leaders. He is earning another $2000 to add the names of four more. I, myself, have contributed $8500 to add the names of all my former Scout leaders beginning with my den mother to my Explorer advisors" (article written by Tom's father).

That's $12,000 donated by the family to hire a sculptor.

Very noble, but not an Eagle project in my book.

BDPT00

I could play either side of this but since Skeptic and Eagle92 have politely taken the "against" I will take the "for"...

I agree that the letter of the law has been violated on this project but I think the spirit of the law has not.

Consider that each scout donates many hours of voluntarily community service and that this statue is likely to promote membership in scouting.

By helping to increase membership and in general increase enthusiasm towards scouting this project is likely to have a larger net effect on community service than if this scout had chosen a project that directly served the community.

Thoughts?

While it is a beautiful work of art, I think that it is basically a huge fund raiser.

And as for increasing membership in scouting, well remember where this is located, Utah. Not exactly a place that has major problems with membership. With the LDS Church a primary CO there, Wingnut's point does not hold water. Additionally this should have been done by a larger group like the VFW, American Legion , etc. and located in the State Capitol or the National Capitol next to the 50th Anniversary Monument on the Capitol Mall. Where it truly could help/promote scouting.

BTW, now that his project is almost done (he wants to put names of major donors on it), when will he have his EBOR? And will he wear those Green Venturing Loops on his tan Boy Scout uniform to the board?

You would think that someone in Venturing in his area had their act together.

Sorry, a pet peeve of mine.

Wing,

challenge Ihave is that it is a service project FOR scouting, which is a no no.

capt.

Those green loops may be A) a color problem form the monitor ( yep that happens) or B) his local scout supplier told him the wrong color green loops when purchased (happened in my neck of the woods).

As for me, Glad I still have my RED loops and that they can be worn with the centennial uniform per the Centennial uniform flyer that came out prior to the IG ;)

Actually I disagree with all the nah-sayers. Its a great project. Since this project is done and the boy has is Eagle, the Great Salt Lake Council feels it was a worthy Eagle project too. Remember that all projects must have council review and sign off.

The statue was not done for the direct benefit of the BSA. The statue was built in a public park. The work commemorates the ideals and 100th anniversary of Scouting. It does not benefit the BSA.

The work commemorates the ideals and 100th anniversary of Scouting. It does not benefit the BSA.

What??

To me, the punchline is that fundraising is not an Eagle project.

I haven't read anything to the contrary, but if some labor of some kind (other than knocking on doors) was done, let's hear it. Was there some kind of leaderhip involved? Who was lead, and how? What did anybody do besides raising mony to pay somebody else to do some work?

I have no criticism for the boy. To him, this felt like an Eagle project. To me, it feels like a fundraiser.

There's a lot of experience in here. Can anyone recall an Eagle project where the family paid $12,000 to have somebody build something? $5000? $2000? $1000 ... anybody?

BDPT00

Blood Drives? Fund raising for the attainment of the project? There are small, meaningful projects and there are large meaningful projects. Finding the site, obtaining the cooperation of the town, finding a sculptor/architect/builder willing to work cheap, Scouts doing landscaping (?maybe?), charretting the design.

I have a hard time with the big list of contributors. Give more, get a bigger mention?

http://www.strengthforservice.org/index.php?p=About+the+Compiler

is a notable project that (1)didn't build anything or clear any trails and (2) needed fundraising and (3) may/maynot "benefit Scouting", but it sure has "Scouting" all over it.

Blood Drives? Fund raising for the attainment of the project? There are small, meaningful projects and there are large meaningful projects. Finding the site, obtaining the cooperation of the town, finding a sculptor/architect/builder willing to work cheap, Scouts doing landscaping (?maybe?), charretting the design.

I have a hard time with the big list of contributors. Give more, get a bigger mention?

http://www.strengthforservice.org/index.php?p=About+the+Compiler

is a notable project that (1)didn't build anything or clear any trails and (2) needed fundraising and (3) may/maynot "benefit Scouting", but it sure has "Scouting" all over it.

I'm confused. The first article says:

So he is already an Eagle. No?

But the second article says:

So I have a few questions.

Is he or is he not an Eagle?

Was this really his Eagle project or just misunderstanding by the article writer?

Did he make Eagle ( as he is refered to) before even finishing his Eagle project?

Now,I'm not a BOY scouter. I'm just a CUB scouter. I do not know every single rule for Scouting...but this doesn't seem like a community project to me. Granted, a statue may be asthetically pleasing to look at in the park, but serves no purpose than any other statue....recognition.

Recognizing what scouts do or COULD possibly do is not comunity service.

I could talk all day long about what others DID or what I COULD do for charity, but at the end of the day, it's just talk.Noth98ing more or less.

In my own opinion, while a cool glimps of showing that a scout can do amazing things when determined..It also looks like training for a future DE who might be all about selling popcorn and raising money for a council - more than anything else.