BP,

I agree that the COR only has a vote at the annual meeting, and is not a member of the exucitve board. I will also agree that he is listed on the units charter and not the councils.

In spite of that, the Rules and Regulations of the Boy Scouts of America clearly state in Article VIII, Section 1, Clause 2:

"Unit Scouters. All adult members registered with the unit, except the chartered organization representative who shall be considered a council Scouter."

It has been clearly shown in three references(The Rules and Regulations, Insignia Guide, and the Uniform Inspection Sheet) that the COR is a "Council Scouter" or wears silver shoulder loops. If you can show me a in an official BSA publication that the COR is a unit scout or wear shoulder loops of the unit we can discuss this more, in the meantime SSScout brought up a good question "HOW do we get our CORs to take their roles seriously?"

I wish every COR was involved. Every time I meet one, I invite them to the district committee meeting, not one has shown.

I held a Training the Chartered Organization Representative course for my district. Everyone of the CORs in my district was personally called and invited, not one showed.

I am thinking about trying another one, but call it something besides a Training session.

Just a thought, your mileage may vary:

Instead of inviting CORs to the district committee meetings (yawn), convince the district commissioner to invite the CORs to the monthly commissioners meetings. In my district, the commissioners meeting is conducted right before our monthly Roundtable. The information presented at the commissioners meeting is relevant, useful, and timely. There is also a different vibe at the commissioners meeting; there is a sense of camaraderie. People actually seem to enjoy attending.

In my district, meetings of the district committee consist of sub committee chairs reading reports to each other. In many cases these reports are generated by the district professional staff mere hours, if not minutes, before the meeting. I once attended a district committee meeting that was so boring a DE actually fell asleep. This makes it a hard sell to the CORs.

Unfortunately, it will probably be an even harder sell convincing the Key 3 to engage the CORs this way. Active, involved CORs might just lead to control of district and council by the chartering organizations.

"The council is a grassroots organization in that there are more CORs than council members at large. So the control of the council belongs to the chartered organizations." http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/Media/Relationships/TrainingtheCOR/04.aspx

ROFLMAO!

Regards,

Axeman

CR/UC

• 2 years later...

In the new Guide to Insignia and Advancement, they identify in the section on Shoulder loops that the COR should wear silver shoulder loops. They say:

"Council and District Scouters (including Chartered Organization Representatives): Silver."

No fee is paid by the unit for the COR although he is registered to the unit. He is a Council member but not a member at large. Councils have three classes of members; members at large, CORs and executive members.

At least that's my understanding but I might be wrong.