Wishing everyone a wonderful Scout Sunday!

May God continue to bless this special program.

A Psalm for Scouts and Scouters

http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/Media/Relationships/ascoutisrevernt/ss18.aspx

The Lord God is our Great Scoutmaster who provides all our needs.

He lets us camp in forests tall and meadows green.

He leads us on trails besides waters deep and still, brooks babbling, streams rushing, and rivers raging.

He restores our bodies, minds and souls, even as we observe the eagle soaring to greater heights above.

He encourages the Eagle Scout in his upward climb.

He teaches Cub Scouts, Boy Scouts, Varsity Scouts, and Venturers to live the Scout Oath and Law.

Even though the trails may lead through dark valleys with towering mountains, we are courageous because he leads us onward.

He continually blesses us with food for mind and body.

Even when our enemies dislike or distrust us, he blesses us with the gifts of love and forgiveness.

Surely, his goodness and mercy will sustain us all the days of our lives.

And, when we climb the final trail through the awesome pass that leads to the Great Councilfire, we shall join those who traveled the trail before us and joyfully live with him forever!

Very nice, did you do that adaptation? I'm glad to see spirituality continue as a key element of scouting, and hope we, as a group, will also foster better relations in the various religious communities. One of the strengths of this movement is that we do focus on spirituality, but not exclusively of one belief system. On that note I wonder why we continue to call this event "Scout Sunday", when some of the belief systems ,that have recognized religious awards that can be earned as part of the program, celebrate the Sabbath on other days. Would "Scout Spirituality Week" not be a better way to celebrate, and extend this celebration to a full seven days?

I didn't write it, I found it on the national web page. They also have a Calendar of Religious Dates for the year, and show Feb. 13 as Scout Sabbath. You can find the calendar at http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/media/relationships/religiouscalendar/2010.aspx

This week is traditionally known as Boy Scout Week.

"The program for Boy Scout Week will include a plan whereby every registered Scout in good standing shall be given an opportunity to assemble on the evening of Anniversary Day, that is, February 8th, and promptly at 8:15 recommit himself to the Scout Oath and Law."

Part of the By-Laws, included in the 3rd Ed. SM HB (1938)

Buffalo,

Sorry to hear about that. Our church has a very busy schedule as well, and it can be tough fitting everything in. I try not to ask for too much time, usually just to let us stand up and be recognized. This year I did ask that an announcement be put in the church bulletin the week before that we would be celebrating Scout Sunday on the 7th, and that it would be the 100th anniversary. I also asked if we could have the counselor (youth minister, also an Eagle) present the God and Church awards to the 4 boys who earned them. The Sr. Pastor thought that would be a great idea, and everything worked out great! He had us stand up and gave a very glowing report of our success as a Troop. He even worked Scouting into part of his message.

Keep working them, it will pay off.