the first troop my son was with - they did a campout with the webelos II right before cross over and taught the totin' chip so they started boy scouts with the totin chip in hand

the troop my son is with now - they have the first campout soon after crossover and they teach the totin' chip then. For the boys that miss that one they learn it on their first campout with us.

so the question of does the whittling chip carry over for us doesn't matter. but, IMO if a boy has earned the whittling chip I'd let him use a pocket knife as long as he was fallowing all the safety rules until he earned his totin.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My gracious. I dread the possibility that a person like this might actually be a Den Leader working with children. 

No kidding.  Unlike the other commenters here, I can read.

I enjoy the ignoranance here.  The Cub scout earns the privilege of carrying a pocket knife when they are in a Bear den but all of you assume they magically loose that privilege when they cross to a t

I'm amazed, apparently none of my crossovers from last year (11 of them from two different packs) earned their whittlin' chip. It seems that the parents didn't think it was safe for them to have a knife.

This only came up because a mom came to me concerned that her son had come home excited that he could learn this next camping trip, she thought it wasn't right for her son to use a knife, let alone a saw or ax. This boy is now 12 years old!

According to a Scouter I just met at another event, who had recently moved up here from N.C., he knew of a Troop down there that did not allow ANY of the Scouts to carry a knife or use an axe, at any time. He said T/C was a non-award with them. Couldn't say why, he guessed some parents had safety issues.

• 8 years later...

I enjoy the ignoranance here.  The Cub scout earns the privilege of carrying a pocket knife when they are in a Bear den but all of you assume they magically loose that privilege when they cross to a troop.

I bet you all think BSA bans fixed blade knives and doesn't allow alcohol stoves.

• Downvote 1

1) WELCOME TO DA FORUMS!

2) As @MattR stated, it is an 8 year old thread, but timely in my opinion since I was dealing with this recently.

1 hour ago, Fred4550states said:

I enjoy the ignoranance here.  The Cub scout earns the privilege of carrying a pocket knife when they are in a Bear den but all of you assume they magically loose that privilege when they cross to a troop.

Sadly not every Bear DL actually goes over Whittling Chip. Some use toys to teach it, but do not allow the Cubs to actually use a knife. This was  a situation I inherited when I became a WDL;  the previous DL used plastic knives to teach, but would not allow them to use actual knives, nor gave them their cards. First thing as a WDL I did was teach Whittling Chip.

As for a troop recognizing WC for new Scouts, while I would prefer it to be the PLC's decision, it is ultimately the SM's decision. I've seen some recognize WC and allow new Scouts to use a pocket knife until they earn TC and others do not. I was in one troop that the SM based his decision to recognize WC based upon his observation of the Webelos when they camped with us. If they were using knives properly, no problem. If not, then he would make them wait until earning Totin Chip. Got interesting one year when a den from one pack was allowed to use knived because of WC, and a den from another pack wasn't. But the SM saw the first den actually use their knives safely to build shelters, fires, and cooking implements for CASTAWAY ADVENTURE prior to Crossing Over, and did not once see the other den use knives at all when they were with us.

1 hour ago, Fred4550states said:

I bet you all think BSA bans fixed blade knives and doesn't allow alcohol stoves.

FYI this knife myth is the result of various knife laws. Some jurisdictions only allow pocket knives, some laws limit size of the blade, some laws say youth cannot posses, and some laws prohibit certain types of knives. I had a discussion with one SM who moved into the area about this matter. Told me I could not allow sheath knives at a BSA camporee with a survival theme. Pointed out the G2SS, Scoutshop.com's links to the sheath knives, and BSA publications that stated sheath knives, where allowed, are perfect for survival. Even pointed out that one BSA publication written by Hugh McManners stated that a Kukri is the best survival knife. One of the reasons I got a Becker 21 :)

As for alcohol stoves, thankfully BSA only bans the homemade ones. I remember when making these stoves were in the Cub Scout Leader How-To Book. Bit the bullet and got a Trangia, and to cut down on weight a Batchstovez 2.0FE. Both are a lot more reliable than my MSR Whisperlight International. Twice now it has let me down when I needed it. As long as I have fuel for my alcohol stoves, I am golden.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, qwazse said:

Durn it! You chased him off before I could take him up on his bet about what you all believe regarding fixed blades. :ph34r:

Well! In my defense, I was afraid he was going to bring a gun into the fixed blade knife fight, discussion. So we nipped it in the butt, so to speak.:o

Barry

• Like 1