So....What's the difference between a totin chip and a Whittling chip besides the spelling?

I'm working with my Bear Cub son on getting his whittling chip card. I have heard of totin chip but not sure if it's the same as when a few co workers and I talk about tools > I say: "My Screwgun" , another coworker might say "Cordless drill" , another might just say "Drill" , while the 4th will say :"Cordless".

In the end, we are all talking about the exact same tool ( we all use DeWalt 18v cordless impact guns --- see, they are not even drills! LOL!)

So is there a difference between totin chip and whittling chip or no difference at all?

Is it an age/rank thing?

Am I even spelling "totin" right?

Inquiring minds (mine) want to know!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My gracious. I dread the possibility that a person like this might actually be a Den Leader working with children. 

No kidding.  Unlike the other commenters here, I can read.

I enjoy the ignoranance here.  The Cub scout earns the privilege of carrying a pocket knife when they are in a Bear den but all of you assume they magically loose that privilege when they cross to a t

Maybe this will help.

requirements for Whittlin' Chip:

In return for the privilege of carrying a pocketknife to designated Cub Scout functions, I agree to the following:

I will treat my pocketknife with the respect due a useful tool.

I will always close my pocketknife and put it away when not in use.

I will not use my pocketknife when it might injure someone near me.

I promise never to throw my pocketknife for any reason.

I will use my pocketknife in a safe manner at all times.

requirements for Totin' Chip:

This certification grants a Scout the right to carry and use woods tools. The Scout must show his Scout leader, or someone designated by his leader, that he understands his responsibility to do the following:

Read and understand woods tools use and safety rules from the Boy Scout Handbook.

Demonstrate proper handling, care, and use of the pocket knife, ax, and saw.

Use the knife, ax, and saw as tools, not playthings.

Respect all safety rules to protect others.

Respect property. Cut living and dead trees only with permission and with good reason.

Subscribe to the Outdoor Code.

The Scout's "Totin' Rights" can be taken from him if he fails in his responsibility.

As noted by NOW, WC is for Cub Scouts to deal with knives, TC is for Boy Scouts to deal with knives, axes, saws.

I wouldn't go so far as to call it an "urban legend", the corner thing tends to be a unit "tradition".

Strictly speaking, the pledge on the back of the Totin' Chip card is the only "requirement" , there is no "do this, and this, and this" to earn the T/C. Thus, the Scout has to learn from a more experienced Scout/er how to safely and skillfully use his ax and knife and saw. The old Handbook for Boys and Fieldbook had some excellent photos and diagrams. This training and evaluation is dependant on the experience and skill of the T/C trainer. Once the Scout has "passed" his T/C, the Scout is held to a standard of safe and responsible tool handling by the unit leadership. Should the Scout get goofy, or act irresponsibly or (God forbid) injure someone with his tool, some units will rescind his T/C priveleges at once, no appeal. Some units will give him second/third chances depending on the severity of the infraction. The "score' is kept by cutting off corners of the T/C card (which the Scout is expected to carry with him when using the tool. Think "diver's license"). Cut off four corners, no more T/C. If the T/C is gone, the Scout must re-earn it. It ain't BSA official, just tradition.

Some Cub Packs do the same thing with the Cub's Whittlin' Chip card.

Once the Cub has "earned" his W/C, the Pack leadership makes sure he only uses his tool (knife) in a safe and responsible manner. A good Webelos leader might hold carving sessions so the Cubs can actually use the knives they were given after they earned the W/C. Here again, the pledge on the back of the W/C card is the only "official" requirement, the earning of the W/C privelege is dependant on the experience and skill of the local unit leadership. Some units really codify things. See http://www.cubpack178.com/documents/whittling_chip_prog.pdf

for a REALLY complete W/C program, perhaps overly, but there you are.

Cub acts irresponsibly with his tool, nip off a corner. REALLY egregious behavior, card and privelege is GONE.

Ummm, Scoutfish?

Many years ago I wrote a course I called Wood Tools, it is far more then what the Totin chip is. It comes from my experience as a Americaorps NCCC crew quatermaster, trail crew quatermaster, etc. If you would like to see it http://insanescouter.org/p/176/83/Wood_Tools_Safety_Course_%28Totin%27_chip%29_.html'>http://insanescouter.org/p/176/83/Wood_Tools_Safety_Course_%28Totin%27_chip%29_.html ... I realise its a bit out of date when I find some time I will update it ... feedback welcome, just remember it is what it is.. this is not about BSA policy ...

Scott Robertson

http://insanescouter.org

http://twitter.com/insanescouter

Helping leaders one resource at a time....

I read ( somewhere) about the four corners for in fractions, and instand loss for careless behavior. I told my son about that too, I really like that idea.

As for urbah legend... I was waitingf for story about a teenage boy and girl in a car at an old abandoned scout camp. Usual stereotypical story stuff happens like it always does....blah blah blah, and when they get back to the city, they find a whittling knife stuck in the door handle or something like that! LMAO!

WHAT URBAN LEGEND OGE?

That was how Mr Weiss handled business in my Troop in 1968-69!!! You screwed up with axe or knife, you got a corner cut. 4 corner cuts, you earned your Totin' Chip all over again. I only got one corner cut, a friend did get to re-earn his Chip.

"When a Webelos Scout crosses over to Boy Scouts does the Scout need to have a whittling chip to use a pocket knife in the troop? Does he have to wait for the Totin chip?"

AFAIK, yes, he would.

Not sure what you mean by 'wait'.

Most troops try to make sure their new scouts get their Totin' chip pretty quickly. I earned it on my first troop camping trip. Nothing says they can't do this at a troop meeting either. I think if troops are bringing in Webelos toward the end of the school year, it would be done that way or when they send them to their summer camp's "First Year Camper" program.

I worded that poorly. I should have asked the following questions:

Before a Scout earns his Totin chip can he use a pocket knife with the troop he joins? Will the troop require that he has a whittling chip or does that only apply to Cub Scouts?

"Before a Scout earns his Totin chip can he use a pocket knife with the troop he joins?"

No. That's part of the purpose of earning Totin' chip, to learn how to properly handle a knife. Until then, he shouldn't carry one.

"Will the troop require that he has a whittling chip or does that only apply to Cub Scouts?"

Whittlin' Chip is for Cub Scouts, not Boy Scouts. I would say that a Boy Scout needs to earn Totin' chip, but I guess that could depend on the troop in question.

Why not ask them?

The troop I grew up in just yanked the card for unsafe acts. I remember confiscating one from a friend of mine. It didn't bother him at all. The last time he taught the class he had issued himself about 8 of them. Oh!