My den - My pack - My boys

I am a mere DL, and was speaking to our UC, when I used the phrase, "My boys have been..." I stopped, looked at him and said, "Well.. let me correct that they are not 'MY' boys... they are the boys in Den 1."

The UC... an older gentleman who is much wiser than I.. simply replied, "No... they ARE your boys.. you care about them, provide a quality program for them, for many you are a father figure to them, so in your heart.. they are your boys, and that's ok." Nuff said for me I thought !!

OGE, I'll take the fall in place of Frank. FScouter was just responding to my posting (and quoting me), where I somehow inexplicably reverted to something before my time. Should have said AFC.

And I agree, FScouter, that a Scout can't really come across as controlling if he says "my troop", but a Scoutmaster could. Still, I think it comes down almost entirely as to what he says about "my troop" and how he acts the rest of the time. The phrase alone indicates nothing, since it is used by so many people in so many ways.

I use "my" in the same way, but also because of my role as the district training chair, I call them "My leaders" too. When people ask me what I do, I tell them I'm a Boy Scout. When they ask what my job is, I tell them "I only work so I can Scout, so let me tell you about my 2,000 boys!"

gee hankins still bragging on I see, lol.

Scouting is all about being part of a team whether as a youth or an adult we all share in the successes as well as the defeats in our units, it is NEVER my unit or my boys. All of us volunteers are part of an even bigger National team which National office should pay closer attention to, IMHO.

I am very possessive of MY TIME and I like to know that I am making a difference in MY community. I am currently serving in a pack and as a UNIT COMMISSIONER. MY units all know who I am.

Scoutfish...Don't let anyone argue semantics, just the issue. You ask the best questions and have a fresh 'why?' look on many things.

I often use the term "my" in this context. If someone thought poorly of me for using that term I could care less. Frankly, I'd consider the person questioning my use of the term "my" as the person who has the problem.