I just happened to be browsing through my sons Bear book. I was just reading over electives and trying to pick out some that were fun, educational, and things that he would remember a year from now and not forget after the next elective.

So I saw Elective 20: Sports ( BSA Bear handbook)

In this section is archery. I thought: "Hey, that would be cool and I could buy him a basic/beginer bow and arrows for a decent price!"

But then.... I saw the instructions.

Now, I asume these are instructions for people who have NO IDEA ( such as myself) how to shoot, nor have they ever shot before.

Let me qoute:

"HOW TO SHOOT A BOW AND ARROW"

"Hold the bow level and lay an arrow axcross it, touching your forefinger. Nock the arrow with the cock feather turned up. Face the target sideways. As you raise the bow to a straight up shooting position...."

Okay, the rest doesn't matter! "Nock the arrow with the Cock Feather" ?

What the hell does that mean? What is "nock"? What is the "Cock feather"?

Why isn't there a picture diagram at least showing what they aretalking about.

Couldn't they be just a tad bit more specific and explanatoryabout this?

Now,I realize this is usually something done at a council or district level, but by putting it in the Bear book, and in electives at that, I get the idea that this is also an "at home" activity too.

I'm thinking we might just try Elective 4-E: Make an electromagnetic crane. ( BSA Bear book)

I mean, what could go wrong there but a few burnt finger and a neighborhood power black-out right? LOL!

"Okay, the rest doesn't matter! "Nock the arrow with the Cock Feather" ?

What the hell does that mean? What is "nock"? What is the "Cock feather"?"

The nock is the plastic piece on the non-business end of the arrow with a slot in it that fits over the string. Nock is also the verb that is the act of putting the string into that slot. The front part of the arrow should sit on the "rest", some sort of shelf or plastic projection where the arrow can lay on the bow itself.

There are typically 3 feathers as part of the fletching of the arrow, one feather (the cock feather) is a different color than the other two (the hen feathers). That feather needs to be away from the bow when the arrow is nocked.

"Now,I realize this is usually something done at a council or district level, but by putting it in the Bear book, and in electives at that, I get the idea that this is also an "at home" activity too."

Well, actually, since most people don't have a range set up in their backyard, it would usually be done at a commercial range, where there would be someone who could also give a short explanation and/or lesson to a new shooter. Of course, I doubt it mentions that anywhere in the book either.

This is just another part of the BSA's inconsistent/just plain silly policy about archery. Can't earn the beltloop anywhere but a Council run event, but they are going to encourage rank novices to pick up a bow and shoot it in their backyards by putting an insufficiently explained elective in the Bear book. Lovely. The NAA certified archery instructor in me cringes.

"but they are going to encourage rank novices to pick up a bow and shoot it in their backyards by putting an insufficiently explained elective in the Bear book. "

EXACTLY! That's why I'm about to go to Lowes and get a roll of 2/12 wire, some connectors, a romex, electric tape and a cheap screwdriver,and rigg up a plug......... to stick in my 220 outlet and make a crane!!!!!

It will be safer right?

LOL!

These are but two steps towards being able to put Menthols in a Coke bottle and capping it back on. And you thought being a kid wasn't fun! Of course being able to make a small catapult might be a possible stepping stone as well.

"You're gonna poke your eye out!"

Stosh

I know my grandfather would have been mighty miffed if I put a couple of his Menthols in a coke bottle, and my mother would want to know why I ruined a coke with cigarettes

Now, if you are talking about Mentos (high end candy mints) now you are talking!