Looking at the BSA from the outside.

OldGreyEagle asked: "So if a scoutmaster does not evaluate out well, then what happens?"

A leader's Certificate of Leadership can be suspended, or even revoked.

For most leaders, those sessions at District Personnel Committee tend to be a bit of a rubber stamp, a useful time to chat with people with another perspective. Generally, if there are issues of concern to his local Group, they would be raised with DPC members beforehand, so they could be looked into further.

One of the leaders in my Group had just such a thing happen to him recently. Young bloke, doing too many things in his life (study, work, etc), not progressing his Scouting training. He was told to sort things out in his life, and come back when he could make a definite commitment to his next training stage.(This message has been edited by hilo)

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Troop in London, I was a Scout in and later the S/L (SM) for.

Was one of the early Troops, started in the very early 1900's - The history gets a little mixed up as along the way there were several mergers, moves and that sort of thing.

Sometime in about 1915, we became the 17th Fulham (Pioneers) Pioneers because the Troop was well known for pioneering.

The Troop met over the years in several different places, including a few church halls, but was never tied to any church.

When WWII broke out all the leaders and many of the Rover Scouts joined the military.

The Cubmaster was the administrator for a hospital so he wasn't allowed to join the military. He started a newsletter that kept everyone up to date with what was happening and that sort of thing.

Of course most of the kids had been evacuated, so the Troop wasn't doing very much.

One member of the Troop didn't make it back. He died in Japanese prisoner of war camp.

The guys who came home wanted a memorial for him and thought that our our own building would be the best memorial.

They set about raising the needed cash, build the building and just kept on raising more money.

I think I was the Scout Leader of one of the wealthiest Troops in the UK.

The building and the grounds are in a very trendy part of London and are worth a fortune.

We of course didn't have any CO and no one asking us to share the cash that was raised.

Ea.

From OGE.... "So your District, composed of volunteers, "fired" another volunteer because they didnt think he was good enough to be a volunteer, or at least to fill the position he was in?"

In simple terms, yes. Obviously it's a bit more complex than that, but I believe it's something that voluntary organizations have to be able to do. I've seen Scout Groups go to the wall because someone inappropriate was at the helm. Remembering that it's "for the kids", we have to take charge at times and get rid of the adults who aren't helping.

""rom OGE.... "So your District, composed of volunteers, "fired" another volunteer because they didnt think he was good enough to be a volunteer, or at least to fill the position he was in?"

In simple terms, yes. Obviously it's a bit more complex than that, but I believe it's something that voluntary organizations have to be able to do. I've seen Scout Groups go to the wall because someone inappropriate was at the helm. Remembering that it's "for the kids", we have to take charge at times and get rid of the adults who aren't helping. "

Weve got a simalar, if not the same set up in the UK. If an Adult is unsuitable for a particular role, then that adult can be removed from that role - all by volunteers either at a group or district level.

if that Adult is reomved from His/Her role then another more suitable role could be found for them withgin Scouting, unless that person is removed for something more serious.