US Mint reveals design for Scouting coin

Although I hope to buy at least one of these coins (production limited to 350,000), I am not a coin collector, so I don't know the answer to your questions.

I'm sure there are coin-collector forums around where you might get a quicker response, and if you do, please post any response here to help your fellow collectors / Scouters.

It says on the page

"$10 surcharges for each coin sold will be paid to the National Boy Scouts of America Foundation, with funds made available in the form of grants for the extension of Scouting in hard to serve areas."

I am wondering how much more it will cost. And yes I do plan on getting my own. Maybe at least 4. I have 2.9 boys that will all be going through scouting.

They are also working on a GSUSA coin. Guess that they are still working on a design for the coin as it is still showing blank.

These will NOT be normal, pick up at your bank, circulated coins. They are "collecter" coins. "Proof" will be the most be-you-tiful, will be sold in special velvet commemorative "BSA History" presentation cases, plastic encased and protected. Proof coins are minted in specially polished dies, and struck sloooowly, and handled with gloved hands. Uncirculated coins are struck as a regular coin is (kechunk, kechunk, kechunk), drop into baskets and are picked up with gloved hands and sealed into cellophane plackets. They have never been thru the Kmart cash till. Uncircs are pretty, but proof coins are (or should be) well nigh perfect.

I'd predict the uncircs would be sold by the USMint for, oh, about $20 per. Proofs for about $50. each. Remember the $10 to the NatBSA.

SSS

Thanks for the info. It helps to know the difference. I never thought about it and now I know about the differences.

I will probably get one proof and 4 - 5 uncirculated. Just due to a budget issue. I think these will make great gifts for eagle scouts.

Good luck to everyone wanting a coin - including me!

But, with just 350,000 being made, what's the real likelihood of getting one, let alone a handful?

Do you have to know somebody that knows somebody that has a friend in the mint? :-)

I'll put in my order and cross my fingers, toes, and eyes.

I expect they'll be available at a high premium in the after-market right away, so I guess it's just a matter of how much a person is willing to spend. For me, $50 for a gift to two Eagle sons I could take, but $100? $150? hmmmmmm, I might be too practical.

Scout On

It's really funny that they obscured the actual Boy Scout in order to show the female Venturer. I'm rather offended by the design -- doesn't surprise me it was chosen by Secretary Geithner. I'd say immediately that I want 3-4 for myself and my nephews but that front design really bugs me.