Christmas wish for your unit

1. Boys who are excited and willing to lead the troop!

2. More parents to roll up their sleeves.

3. More ASM who are excited about the program as I do.

Wait ... that's what all scoutmasters wish for!

Happy holidays Skipper!

All the resources: manpower, financial, equipment, etc. to provide a quality and attractive program to all our youth, inlcuding those who can't afford Scouting in these tough economic times.

Merry Christmas and Happy Hanaka(sp)folks

A Scout Hut!

We are quickly outgrowing the room we meet in, and our church has so many programs going on, there aren't many other alternatives. The good news is we have a great site for a new building, in the woods, right beside the church athletic fields. The senior pastor has given us the ok to start preliminary design work, so we are beginning the process of selecting an architect and putting together a fund raising plan. My dad designed the Scout Hut for our Troop, so I guess I have a little bit of this in my blood.

Everything that OneHour, Eagle92, and moxieman said, of course, since they apply to all units, pretty much.

For my specific unit - one thing I'd love to have is an adult archivist to work with our troop historian and organize all of the various scrapbooks and pictures, produce a timeline for the troop, create an Eagle plaque that lists all of our Eagles, etc.

That our COR (I'm the former SM) will realize his big mistake due to lack of knowledge of the BSA program. I trained him as best I could, but could never get him to go to training. I kept things going great for years, and when I needed his support, he didn't know his responsibilities and wimped out. I resigned of course, and the once proud and active Troop of 25 Scouts, now barely has 6 show up to meetings.

It's been 10 months, and every Sunday at church (this Troop's sponsor and my church as well), I have to deal with him (the COR). The preacher wants to help, but lets me know of all of the great things this man does for the church. The preacher and I have talked at length as to what happened, why I felt the COR failed, and how to fix it. Oh yeah, even after a successful "school night for Scouting," this past September, the associated Pack is now a memory.

My biggest concern are the Scouts that have left this Troop's program the last 10 months. I know why they left, and that's the problem. I left the preacher and the CC each with this statement. "This can't be what you want in a Troop program." The CC could have taken care of all of this as well, but he didn't take his training either, etc., etc., etc..

This is the Troop my brother and I were Scouts in. Many, many years of great memories. It was indeed my pleasure and privledge to have been the SM.

sst3rd

I'm with BrentAllen on this one - a Scout Hut!

We'll be moving to a new church location in March since we're bouncing off the walls, floor, and ceiling where we are now, having grown over the past few years.

But, I get envious when I hear about Scout Huts - places specifically for a scout unit where they can have 'patrol corners' and set it up in a permanent manner rather than rolling in on Monday night and then doing the Leave No Trace thing after each meeting. :-)

Oh, peace on earth would be good too, along with two more backpacking stoves, and one of those "BSA 2010" flagpole top ornaments.

Scout On

Hearing all this talk of scout huts makes me thankful of the many things our troop does have. My Christmas wish is for our Flamingo Patrol to finally choose a color. First they were pink, then they were magenta, but their lack of a permant color is incicative of their lack of organization and decisive leadership. I wish for them success as they grow with our new expanded patrols in the coming months.

Dear Santa,

My wish is for more boys to join the Troop! Over the last few years we have had a sizable wave of very active Scouts "age-out". We're positioned and ready for new recruits. Hopefully, our rather large Cub Pack will help make this wish a reality.

I have been a really good boy this year,

WAKWIB

(PS: I did not leave out any milk and cookies. Just help yourself to whatever is in the fridge. And, Santa, it's OK if you kiss my Mommy. She is currently single.)

I got more prayers than I do Santa wishes.

Continued CO support, safe travels, responsible scouts and leaders, unit growth,...

But from Santa?

A few more lanterns, more Pioneering poles, a cross over bridge, a climbing rope and some climbing gear.

My wish for my crew and all other scout units is that National will get their heads out of the cloud fantasy world they have created for themselves and for Mazzuca and his staff to restore the BSA to its former strength and the solid program it once had. Eliminating some of these new "road to nowhere programs", and getting out into the field to see what support our units on the ground and their leaders REALLY NEED. Instead of trying to develop weak and poorly thought out programs aimed at one specific ethnic or target group to take the core of what true scouting is and making it even more appealing to all youth regardless of their ethnicity, by concentrating on the fun, the outings, outdoor skills, and the growth and leadership experiences that are the true essence and strength of the scouting program.