Christmas wish for your unit

Six suitable people to walk in off the street saying they want to be leaders with us.

Good wish there HiLo, and of course the key there is "suitable." For my troop, I would tweak that just a bit. Rather than have them walk in "off the street", I would be happy if they just walk in from the parking lot -- instead of driving away after dropping off their sons at the weekly troop meeting. Of course, all six need not stay for all of every troop meeting -- if we had three more active committee members and three more active ASM's, we'd be in much better shape than we are now. And those hypothetical new ASM's need to go on some camping trips and not leave it to the same old crowd, which is gradually dwindling as their sons age out of the troop.

Dear Santa

I would like to have some scouts who acctually want to be in the program.

P.S. My mother is single but is a widow so it wouldn't work out to well. And I drink skim mild and we don't have any cookies so I hope you don't mind.

Nick, from Troop 23

Dear Santa

I would like to have some scouts who acctually want to be in the program.

P.S. My mother is single but is a widow so it wouldn't work out to well. And I drink skim mild and we don't have any cookies so I hope you don't mind.

Nick, from Troop 23

"...Of course, all six need not stay for all of every troop meeting ..."

Ouch. Touched a sore point with me there NJCubScouter. I've heard too many people up the ladder telling me it's no good having part time leaders. But that's the modern world. So many people I know work odd hours in their jobs, shift work, or have other commitments that make "every week" a bit difficult. I'd be happy with three weeks out of five for new leaders, so long as I know in advance which three weeks. I'd be delighted to organise the roster.

Just thought of a new request for Santa too. He might need a tip truck rather than the sleigh, but a few loads of gravel for the car park would help alleviate the mud bowl we currently have at times.

Actually, HiLo, when I was referring to leaders not staying for all of every meeting, I was talking about some of the new leaders being committee members rather than ASM's. I thought that was clear from what I said right after that, apologies if it wasn't clear. Yes, the ASM's should be at the troop meetings consistently, but the committee members need attend only the monthly committee meetings, BOR's when needed for that duty, and special events such as Courts of Honor. Actually, in our troop many of the committee members often do "hang out" during the troop meetings (in a separate room from the Scouts), but of course that is not a requirement of the position.