Dear Fellow Scouters,

I am filled with great sadness with the thought of KMSR being closed and sold. I love KMSR. I did a lot of growing and maturing at KMSR. There is not a section of KMSR that I can walk without a memory from my youth or as an adult with my son.

My first camping trip was the Webelos-Dad overnight in 1976. I remember it as if it was yesterday. I slept in the center lean-to in Adirondack and caught my first fish with my Dad behind Johnson lodge.

When my son was a Tiger I brought him up to KMSR for the Cub Parent weekend. I walked up to Adirondack and showed him the lean-to I slept in and where his Grandfather taught me how to fish. I always hoped that one day he would do the same once he was married and had children.

Throughout my sons Cub Scout career we camped every summer at KMSR. As Cubmaster I also brought the Pack camping for a weekend in the fall and spring. My sons first summer camp experience as a Boy Scout was at KMSR.

As an Arrowman the thought of closing a Camp goes against all the Order of Arrow stands for. I will always and faithfully observe and preserve the traditions of the Order of the Arrow.

The three main areas that were mentioned for the recommendation to close KMSR were Capital expenses,Participation levels at camp and Northeast Region / National Council findings, recommendations, and policies.

Capital Expenses:

KMSR was able to function for almost 60 years without the comfort station. If it is overloading the septic system then close it down until a cost effective solution can be arrived at and the needed funds raised. What will happen when the dam completely fails? The water will flow down stream and the lake will recede. Short of the loss of the lake what are the other downsides? Scouts can still camp without a lake. Besides is the state aware of the dam failure? Will they simply let the dam fail, or perhaps maybe they can provide assistance to fix the dam. I keep on hearing the Dining Hall needs to be replaced, why? It was large enough for over 60 years and the capacity of the camp has not increased.

Participation Levels:

Reference is made to a goal of 900 Scouts in attendance at Summer Camp and it was almost reached in 2003 and 2008 but was not reached since 1999. However, in reviewing the 2009 budget it clearly states attendance was 995 in 2007 and 1054 in 2008. Also, as of October 16, 2009 there were 415 Scouts scheduled to attend. Further it was cited that only 12% of units camp at KMSR. I assume this refers to summer camp only. What percentage of the units camp at KMSR throughout the year. Although the Troop I serve did not always attend KMSR for Summer Camp, we kept it in our rotation and we camped two or three weekends throughout the year and some of our Scouts would attend KMSR as provisional campers for a second week of Summer Camp.

Northeast Region and National Council findings:

KMSR had 9 red flags out of the 15 traits of a successful camp. I wonder which of these traits had the red flags? Lets review these one by one.

Camp operates for 6 weeks or more w/900+ campers: This goal was met for 2007, 2008 and was on target to be met for 2010. No red flag here.

Camp income exceeds all year-round expenses: It is difficult to analyze this because of how the 2009 budget is broken down lumping the expenses and salaries from KMSR, YCSR and the Day Camps together. However, in reviewing the 2008 actual figures it appears KMSR brought in $252,472 in revenue as compared to $162,558 in expenses which includes KMSR, YCSR and Day Camps. No red flag here.

Camp Ranger is full time, exempt, National Camp School Certified Council employee: KMSR has a full time Ranger. No red flag here.

Camp has detailed maintenance plan that included scheduled major replacements (roof, etc.): Between OA ordeals, Fall and Spring fellowships and Beaver Days there should be no red flag here. If this is a red flag it lays at Councils doorstep.

Complete operating statements (all income, year-round expenses and operating statistics included) is regularly reported: The budget is posted on the website. No red flag here.

Camp property 50 miles from other Council properties or is best of those in 50 mile radius: There are several camps within 50 miles, but they have existed for years so why is it now a problem?

Camp fees cover all year-round expenses: See item 2 above. If not, fees need to be adjusted.

Camp staff - 50% over 18 years with low turnover: I dont have the facts for this one I believe KMSR meets this.

60%+ of Council Units camp in Council camps annually: I question the 12% figure for annually camping. Maybe its true for Summer Camp but not for year round. Also are the percentages based on Boy Scout Troops only or do they include Cub Scout Packs? That could skew the figures.

All Camp personnel requiring certifications have current training cards for the positions they hold: I dont have the facts for this one.

The Camp is Nationally Accredited: Based on the conversations I assume KMSR is not Accredited.

Council has a current Strategic Plan that includes current asset and property management plans: The Strategic Plan is on the Councils website. No red flag here.

Council system tracks year-round property use, Scout and non-Scout users: There is no reason this should not be done. If this is a red flag it lays at Councils doorstep.

Council budgets, accounts for and reports all depreciation regularly: If this is a red flag it lays at Councils doorstep.

Council surveys campers, leaders and staff regularly to determine satisfaction levels: I know for a fact this is done as I have filled out these surveys in the past.

Bottom line, these are only traits and are not hard and fast requirements. Based upon my understanding of the traits I dont see 9 red flags or anything that would call for the selling of KMSR.

I have heard that the decision to sell KMSR did not come easy and was studied over a two-year period by a special committee. However, as I review the December 2008 update of the Stop Light information of the 2007 2011 strategic plan there is no mention of the concern or the study of the special committee.

The letter mentioned 6 different options were considered, I think we, the members of CNJC are entitled to know what the other 5 options were before this one is implemented.

If CNJC no longer runs a summer camp program, can KMSR survive with only year round camping by both Scout groups and non-Scout groups? I know in the past Hunters and other organizations such as L.A.I.R.E. have rented the entire camp for weekends.

I implore you not to act too hastily with your decision. Selling property for revenue is a one-time option. Just as in 2006 when the mountain side above the rifle range, the swamp area across the road from Baumann Lodge and even one piece of property behind Black Bear campsite that Council did not even know they owned were sold to the State to pay for the now failed comfort station.

I thank you for your time and consideration in reading my comments. I trust you will come to the correct decision.

Yours in Scouting and Brotherhood,

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

UPDATE:

At the Executive Board Meeting, the motion to sell KMSR was tabled. The motion to suspend Summer Camp operations was amended to only suspend Summer Camp for 2010.

Official Statement:

Message Regarding KMSR and Camping

Scouting teaches that leadership requires making prudent choices and inspiring others to participate. The Central New Jersey Council has made an important decision in the best interest of our Scouts, and we are seeking the support of everyone in our organization.

The Council has decided to suspend summer resident camping at Kittatinny Scout Reservation (KMSR) for the 2010 season. The decision is based on the harsh reality that most Scouts in our Council who participate in summer camping have chosen to do so elsewhere. We are blessed with 10 excellent summer residential camps outside CNJC, within a roughly 50-mile drive. Scouting is a worldwide program, and the Councils work together. Clearly, our Scouts are well served at these other camps. Despite our best recruitment efforts, KMSR has not attracted sufficient attendance to cover the costs.

Our decision was also driven by financial considerations to be sure. The spillway of the dam of Lake Ashroe needs significant renovations to meet current state regulations, the septic system serving the Comfort Station and Dining Hall has to be replaced, and the Dining Hall and other facilities require major overhauls. These projects cannot be delayed and will be extremely expensive.

As leaders, we have a responsibility to exercise responsible stewardship over the Councils limited funds, which come from contributions by Scout families and charitable donations from both alumni and corporations. Especially in todays economy, we recognize that it is difficult for the families and donors to provide these funds. It is our duty to ensure that their dollars are used effectively. Rather than subsidizing a local camping program that is lightly attended, the Council should direct these funds into programs that will directly benefit our Scouts.

I and many other leaders have fond memories of KMSR summers and the learning opportunities embraced there by our Scouts. A lot of money and energy has been poured into this camp, but we have to focus on the Scouts future needs rather than the past.

I am grateful for the many individuals who participated in a careful two-year process to study the needs of our Scouting program and assess the viability of KMSR. Their reports have been diligent and thorough, which you can view "http://www.cnjcscouting.org/KMSR_suspended.htm">here.

Very shortly, we will contact the troops that have already signed up for KMSR camping in 2010 to help them make other plans. We are confident that CNJCs future programs will live up to our commitment to the Scouts.

Glad to see it will survive as a Council property, bummed about the summer camp closing though.

Does this leave anyone else wondering if the the council is really having finance issues. Is this simply a holding pattern until they find a way to deal with all the nostalgic scouts and volunteers :(

Best of luck in keeping your camp open guys!