Hey guys I have question, I will be working in another State durning the week and going home to my family on weekend. I am very active in scouting as are my two sons. I would like to start checking out new troops but my sons will not be moving for several months to a year due todays real estate market. If I find a good Troop is it okay for me to join by myself before my boys are here or is this a grey area?

John

When you get where you're going, why not contact the local District Executive and see what volunteer support is needed at the District level?

There's nothing wrong with being a childless adult in a Troop, but better local folks get to know you :)

Of course, if you happen to be a member of a Chartered Partner of a Troop... that helps too.

My thoughts...

While it wouldn't be a "gray area" if you joined a troop in one state with your sons in another troop in another, I personally wouldn't do it. Reason being is that I would hate to be involved in a unit, only to find out that my sons were not interested in that unit, but were interested in another. I know two people that the situation above has happened to, and my troop lost two very good leaders.