I was reading an old (pre-1920) boy scout fiction book I found burried in our scout hut, and it referenced a dog who accompanied the troop wherever they camped.

I know there are many places today you cannot camp with dogs--that is not the discussion I want to have now. But have any of you seen modern troops who have a mascot with them at appropriate campouts and outings?

I've never been to a Scout camp that didn't have at least one camp dog hanging around. Usually some mutt that wandered up and lives on dropped Cheetos and burned bacon. They can't leave because they're too fat for the hike out.

I think if you asked most kids nowadays, they would tell you a mascot is a six-foot foam rubber cartoon character a la the San Diego Chicken.

"I've never been to a Scout camp that didn't have at least one camp dog hanging around. Usually some mutt that wandered up and lives on dropped Cheetos and burned bacon. They can't leave because they're too fat for the hike out."

Twocubdad, I am not talking about puppy-eyed district committee members--every council (and camp) has plenty of those. I am talking about a troop which on occasion takes along a leader's pet dog. It seems to me that the right dog could be a real bonus to the troop, teaching lessons of BPs original 11 points of the scout law.

It is nothing I am really seriously considering (none of my current pets would make a good fit in a troop environment), just a curiousity.

No mascot for the troop, just a totem: a keystone with a tent and two feet hanging out of it. That patch was on our neckers, and was on our t-shirt shirts.

As for camps, to my knowldge the reservation and one camp in my council do have mascots, both are dogs owned by the rangers. And yes the camp staff/OA lodge is very protective of them.

We have a few troops with "mascots" that show-up at district/council events.

In one case, the SM's dog has been adopted by the troop and is considered a "therapy" dog as the unit has a few kids with ADD and/or autism who function better when the dog is around. Said dog is also a Hurricane Katrina survivor and has his own webpage on the troop website. The dog is on a leash at district/council events. Troop makes arrangements in advance to be able to bring the dog to summer camp with them, again, on a leash at all times. The dog also travels with them on troop outings. They are fortunate as they have several sites to choose from, one owned by the sponsoring organization (willed to them specifically for scout use), and a few locations owned by scout families in the unit. So, no problems with bringing the troop mascot on those trips (and no cost for the campsite!).

Just got to have the right dog and the right training. I'm rather surprised the SM in this case doesn't sign his dog up for Dog Scouts, which is a real organization, especially, when there is a Dog Scout Troop here in Maine:

http://www.dogscouts.org/

Keeping these separate as I believe they should be.

On the other end, you have some units that have a stuffed animal mascot. I have encountered a few of these in Scouts Canada Units. And then there's a Girl Guide's one with a blog on Livejournal as it's traveling around the world for it's home troop:

http://community.livejournal.com/browniebear_com

It's last reported visit was in Dayton, OH.

We have a rat that lives in the adult chuck box.

Well, ok, not a real rat, but an beany baby type of thing we picked up at a camp we attended years ago - with "Rock Enon" embroidered on it. He keeps the place clean for us. ;-)

My Troop does have a dog that does go to every event that we have. He loves camping, hiking (he made the Philmont trek) and camporees plus all summer camps. All the Troop meetings and roundtables. He is a real plus for our Troop. All the Scouts and Scouters love having him with us. He is a real member of our Troop.

Javier is a brown lab and the best seeing eye dog I have ever been near. He works with our Troop Committee Chairman. We are better Troop because of him and his master.

OK now I have seen it all. Dog Scouts. Looks interesting but no troops in my state.

Anyway Our local scout reservation/camp has 2 dogs depennding on the time of year. They are both super friendly and very wel behaved. One of them will not touch any food left on a table. Not even if there is no one around. Last year, we went camping with another pack. THey left some pizzas on the table and we went to the campfire. The dog came down and saw the campfire and wandered off. When we got back to camp, she was laying under the shelter about 15 feet away from the food and just looked up at us. There was not pizza missing. But when one plate was placed on the ground for her, she ate it like ti was going out of style.

Very well behaved dog. I even have one boy who is afraid of dogs, but when it comes to the camp dog he is a little less afraid.

I talked with the ranger and he said as a general expectation, when troops are camping on the weekends, he won't see her until the troops leave.