What ever happened to Scouting Pride???

I remember when I was a youth I was proud to be a scout. I did not care what others said about me being a scout. It was something that I believed in and still believe in.

Why is it that there are so many that are NOT proud to be scouts. All they want is the Eagle and then leave.

What has happened to our program.

See the clip of the hostage middle schooler above. He's proud.

It certainly doesn't help Scout pride that agencies like the USPS come out with stuff like the "scouting" stamp that doesn't honor Boy Scouting.(This message has been edited by kahuna)

The same thing that happened to everybody: We turned into a "it's not my fault/ it's all about what I want" society!

Scouting must be all about my son only, Therefore, pride or whatever takes a backseat to whatever my son thinks it should be!

It went AWOL along with taking pride in your neighborhood, your school, your work and how well you do your job!

I would say more, but I have to run the final pinewood derby car plans through my computer so I can go ahead and start building for my son!

I'd say one of the biggest problems is that there are a heckuva lot of kids whose parents dump them into the Scouts as a means to get away from them for 1.5 - 2 hrs every week. It's no longer Boy Scouts of America, it's Baby Sitters of America.

Then, too, you have what Scoutfish makes note of, the "All about me" mentality. My troop had something like that a few years ago; The boy's mother refused to allow him to go on any camping trips (we go camping about 10 times a year), then demanded to know why her son wasn't advancing. The Committee Chairman had to break it to her that we weren't an Alden G. Barber-model troop (an interesting scene, to say the least).

But beyond all of that, let's face it: Scouting expounds Duty to God, Duty to Country, and Duty to Others, and none of that is endorsed by the key figures of modern popular culture, whom kids today seem practically enslaved to.

BklynEagle;

I had a friend who signed his son up at the same time I did at the school round up. We both paid our pro-rated dues and paid for pro-rated mgazine suscriptions.

Then my friend found out that:

1) He had to drive a whole 12 miles to the den/ pack meetings, and

2) He was expected to stay at the meeting with his Tiger Cub, and not just drop him off.

This friend grumbled about how his parents used to always drop him off when he himself was a scout. He then told his son that he had to wait for a Tiger Den to form in our area before he could attend . Told him was some sort of pack rule. Then within a month, convinced his son that Scouting was a dull, boring thing to do that would get him picked on.

And we wonder where pride in anything went to?

Scoutfish, we think alike - There exist parents who ruin Scouting for their kids.

Personally, I wish my Troop would make the parents stick around, and then get involved in some way, shape, or form, but when our Scoutmaster is incapable of making it to a meeting less than 30-45 minutes late, what can I expect?

The SM complaining that the parents are interrupting his program when all he does at the meetings is seat at the computer doing the Scribe's job and then playing a round of football. No scouting skills and no troop pride...and we don't drive 12 miles, more like 25 on way

I've had two sons earn the Eagle awared/rank. One stayed involved and was eager to become an Assistant Scoutmaster. The other couldn't wait to finish. They are less than two years apart in age.

Yes, one is not driven so much by peer pressure but the other is. Can you guess which one enjoyed Scouting more?

Perhaps scouting pride is linked to actually wanting to be a scout?

How many scouts that have no pride would really prefer to quit?

Followup question - but can't quit because mom & dad won't let them, or because cash or a drivers license is the inducement?

How many adults have pride in something they don't care about?

NC

when has been being called a "Boy Scout" ever been a compliment? The phrase "You are such a boy scout" has not been in recent memory been considered a compliment.

In a Culture which adores bad guys, when is being self professed good guy in fashion?

I was a Boy Scout in the Chicago Suburbs from 1965-1971, from about the summer of 1968 (post Democratic Convention) for 18 months or so, we didnt wear our uniforms, the adults deemed it not worth the risk as the youth would have been seen as toadies for "the man". I don't think Boy Scouts ever recovered from that era, and I don't just mean in Chicago. The counter culture of the 60's made all things honorable and honest passe, or seemingly so.

So, if the youth are a tad reluctant to tell peers they are scouts, I guess its our job to allow them to develop the self confidence that they will be able to be proud of being a scout.

I don't know.

Society has always been evolving, this last evolution though is interesting.

What has happened to please and thank you? Many people don't utter these words.

What has happened to sticking to a commitment? People will cancel at the last minute because something better has come along, then expect a refund.

Scouting is still relevant these days. Maybe if it was tied less to being an Eagle for Life and more to what you learn that will stay with you for Life it will be better.

I have no idea what happened, I tell the boys to live by the Oath and Law and a few listen.

Quick, who said the following?

"Our youth now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love to chatter in places of exercise. Children are tyrants, not the servants of the household. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up their food and tyrannize their teachers."

I know a few different versions of this thought are floating around, to whom is this thought attributed?

Well, it has been attributed to that smart Greek guy that gets quoted a lot. It's an interesting thought. Here's another from another smart guy from the olden days:

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."

Maybe we can blame lawyers?

Somewhere we went from being great due to our diversity as a nation to becoming a nation of "Offended by Anything"!

That guy listens to a different kind of music than me, accourding to my Home Owners Assoc, we can penalize him or sue!

Somebody has a belief or celebrates something I don't believe in: instead of just letting them have the same freedoms I want and expect: I'll complian and sue to make sure they don't do that again and possibly OFFEND me!

Of course, if what I do offends them..well, tht's just crazy! Why would anybody be offended by what I do/ believe/ practice?

YOU BETTER NOT ANSWER THAT QUESTION LEST I GET OFFENDED AND SUE YOU!

The problem with respect these days can be pretty much attributed to parents who wanted to be friends to their kids instead of parents!

My dad was a cool guy to hang out with. He taught me to fish, clean fish, cook, how to show respect and reverance to our active and retired military. He taught me manners and such.

He didn't just tell me though..he taught by example too.

But I never ever forgot he was my father, and not just a friend. If I stepped out of line, I paid the consequences - wether corporal or social.He was my father instead of my "friend". Funny thing is, I still love himjust as much!

You obeyed your parents even when you didn't agree with them.

Funny how it is, that when you move out on your own, buy your first house, and get married - well...it's funny how your parents suddenly get smarter! LOL!