The Centennial Stamp

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree that this stamp is a real slap in the face to the centinnel of the BSA. The figure is obviously not a boy scout and the BSA and 100 years is not even mentioned. Prior boy scout stamps at least showed the organization it was honoring, this stamp just exemplifies the breakdown that has been occuring within the organization on the National level and the general lack of direction and focus of the organization as a whole.

OGE if you read the article instead of just looking at the picture you would know that is not the message they were trying to give, and I rather doubt that Kudu would agree with your statement.(This message has been edited by BadenP)

They could have at least turned the neckerchief around on the silhouette.

One person's backward uniform neckerchief is another person's non-uniform bandana, I guess. :) Seriously, though, there is nothing being worn by either of the figures in the picture (or is it supposed to be the same person?) that is necessarily a BSA uniform item. I am not even sure what kind of hat that is supposed to be (on the silhouette). It seems to have a brim all the way around. The smaller figure may be wearing some kind of baseball cap. It's too small to really tell what it looks like, but it seems to be yellow.

So I see hiking and maybe birdwatching in this picture, but I don't see the BSA or its centennial.

(Edit: Correcting descriptions of the hat(s))(This message has been edited by njcubscouter)

Here is a larger image of the stamp:

http://tinyurl.com/yc599bt

In this image the hat (on the smaller figure) seems to be tan-colored. I don't THINK these two figures are supposed to be the same person, at least not at the same time: The silhouette does not seem to be wearing any pack, while the smaller figure seems to be wearing a day-pack. (With something dangling from it.) The silhouette's hat has a brim all the way around but the smaller figure's hat seems to have a brim only in the front. And the tails of the silhouette's bandana (that backward neckerchief) are not visible on the smaller figure.

I kind of like this image as a piece of art, but it's not a BSA Centennial stamp.

Washington Post did a nice article about the new stamp, with photos. Note the new Centen BIG neckers, worn OVER the collar, and smoky bear hats. No bluejeans.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn/NewsSearch?st=Scout%20Postal%20Stamp&

Nope. Doesn't look much like a BSA stamp. Any grapevine about how the design came to be? Doesn't evoke much of any Scouty thing to me. Not even thru the WOSM folks.

Gotta buy more "forever" stamps.

A few comments on the link that SSS provided.

1) Those look like actual scouts.

2) Face on the one at the far right holding the blue sheet has the exact expression on his fgace that I had, a " WHAT THE HECK?!?!?!???" expression

"They will probably launch it at Jamboree, and everyone can get a day 1 cancellation from the special Jamboree post office.."

This philatelist will not be getting one. Neither, I suspect, will most other Scout stamp collectors.

OGE, I will agree with you on the fact that it is promoting scouting in general. The problem is they are launching it as the 100th anniversary stamp. If they are so afraid of trademarks.

How about a stamp set with a variety of Rockwell portraits. That would be a little closer to our history.

the blurb from the post office states that this issue is to celebrate 100 years of the youth scouting movement.

Obviously, the artist from Mill Valley did not know diddly squat about BSA and it must have been approved by that guys brother who works for the post office.

Another hollywood moment- let's do an "interpretive thing"- no actual knowledge or experience required.

Not being much of a stamp collector I have no clue of the rules.

When the local Council sent out an email with this it was a let down. I do Civil War re-enacting at it looked more like that the BSA.

In the rush to the 100th anniversary the BSA is entitled to a mistake or two.