The Centennial Stamp

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep...horrible. Remove the word "Scouting" and tell me that you can figure out what it's supposed represent...maybe the Sierra Club or some birdwatching group. They clearly could've come up with a much better design without too much tought.

How odd. Usually when the postal service issues these stamps it's because they think people are going to want to buy them, to produce revenue. I think that a stamp explicitly geared toward the BSA and the 100th anniversary would produce some sales. I don't know who is going to be rushing out to buy this.

No, I would bet against refusal to allow the BSA logos. USPS will not sell many of these and Boy Scout philatelists (as opposed to scout philatelists, if there are any) will create a big fuss about it.

It strikes me as a way to dodge an issue by the USPS. Political correctness?

From http://www.usps.com/communications/organization/csac.htm:

"6. Stamps or stationery items shall not be issued to honor fraternal, political, sectarian, or service/charitable organizations. Stamps or stationery shall not be issued to promote or advertise commercial enterprises or products. Commercial products or enterprises might be used to illustrate more general concepts related to American culture."

...could be the reason why no logos or fleur-de-lis or distinctive BSA symbols. According to the current rules, things get pretty generic, pretty fast.

Some stamps from the past look much better:

http://www.sossi.org/exhibits/usscouts/usscout.htm

Huh, I could have sworn I have bought Simpson, Muppets, and Marvel Comics stamps. Can't get much more commercial than Bart, Miss Piggy, and Stan Lee!

Too bad it wasn't a stamp set, say of 12 stamps with a different stamp for each Scout law or the like.

Good stamp for the Lone Scout program.

My $0.01