"Follow Me Boys" re-make coming...

My son and I saw this on scoutstuff.org as part of the Scavenger Hunt contest that's happening until the 23rd. It was clue #7:

"I'm a classic tale of right and wrong. I'm older, by my memory lives on. A remake of me is coming quite quickly. It might help to know that I'm made by Disney."

Roll over the little compass icon next to the top right of the rocket at http://www.scoutstuff.org/BSASupply/ItemDetail.aspx?cat=01RTL&item=179GRK to see the clue.

I sent an e-mail to Scoutstuff to get more info and will post if I get a response back.

Think of the possibilities! Lem has to deal with youth protection, the Guide to Safe Scouting (laser tag!), helicopter parents and a new Committee Chair comes aboard and tries to turn it into an adult-led troop. Council employee absconds with funds (read about a Mohegan Council employee this morning in the paper, accused of stealing $225k).

Could be an interesting movie.

Guy

Dad? Whitey wouldn't have a Dad. And he wouldn't be white. He'd be the son on a single black mom who works two jobs and a Vietnamese American Dad who was killed in Iraq. After many trials and tribulations he goes on to earn his Eagle, becomes a U. S. Senator and eventually President.

"So are they gonna remake it along the lines of the movie, or go more towards the book?"

Somehow I think, especially as this is Disney, that going more toward the book is probably out. Most remakes these days, and especially Disney's, usually start from the original movie, then go further away from the original source (and what it was really about) in an attempt to be successful (ie 'appeal to today's audience'), rather then create a timeless classic.

Heck, I don't think any of the remakes in the last few decades have been better then the original. "Dirty Rotten Scoundrels" is the only one I think was better then the original. "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" has some stuff I liked better then the Gene Wilder version, but there was also stuff I liked better in the Wilder version.

Perhaps Lem will be replaced by a female SM? The boys in the town won't be a bunch of wayward fellas looking for mischief, but a group of affluent overly-scheduled guys whose parents want to make sure they can add Eagle Scout to their resumes. Or, maybe, the court scene will not be about a "senile" old lady that wants to give her land to a bunch of scouts, but rather about a lawsuit filed over the Boy Scout's exclusionary practices.

Oh yeah, so much new material since the original.

Sort of like a Dead Poets Society meet Mr and Mrs Smith

Brad Pitt and Angelina Joie reprise their roles as assasins but both turned states evidence and are in Witness Protection. No longer active they are advisors of a Co-Ed Venturing Crew and there are multiple coming of age story lines while the Crew try to figure out how their advisors learned all those skills?

You guys are still think of pre-PC Disney movies like Ol' Yeller, The Nutty Professor, Love Bug or even The Ghost and Mr. Chicken.

You've got to think of the all the recent PC movies -- Mulan, Pocohantas, or Hunchback of Notre Dame: down-trodden minority overcomes all odds to win the hearts of their oppressors.

Using that formula, Lem will be a conservative talk radio host and Whitey will be an undocumented immigrant. Hoodo will be transgender and the rest of the troop a variety of militant feminists, minorities, and atheists. Lem finally sees the light when, on a troop hike, Whitey and Hoodo rescue Lem from the cliff using Hoodo's feather boa.