Can a boy be registered with more than one unit?

I know that you have to wonder why would a boy want to be registered in more than one, but there is a good reason. We live in a very small community and have been trying to get a Troop started for some time. We can barely keep a Pack going. My son has said that he would be willing to transfer membership to another Troop after he has finished his Eagle, but that he wanted to finish with the boys that he started with.

We were told last night that he could actually be registered with 2 Troops in order to help these other boys get a Troop started. It would be great if we got a Troop going, I have 2 more boys to take through the program and I am tired of driving 30 miles one way.

From what I understand this is not possible. Check with the local Council first though.

The only exception I know of is that a 14 yo boy can be registered in a Troop and Venturing Crew at the same time.

Starting a Troop can be a rewarding experience.

Yep it's possible, but I don't know how it's done or how the paperwork works out.

I was registered in 2 troop for 2 years. I was registered and active with my primary troop, aka Old Troop, and met weekely with them. Then a troop was created that's sole purpose was to go to Canada for a 50 Miler expediation. That troop was made up of scouts already registered with troop throughout the district, met a few times to elect leaders, do fundraisers, do prep trips, etc. Once the trip was over, the troop was disbanded. Also while we were on activities with that troop, we HAD to wear the unit number for that troop.

Why would it make any difference where the boy is registered if it's where he attends that is important?

Den Chiefs are not dual registered, yet spend a lot of time with a Cub Pack.

Look at this process as the boy is registered as a Scout, where he happens to be at any given time is not relevant. If he wishes to register with the new troop to help their numbers and help them get on their feet, so be it, that doesn't mean he can't hang out with his buddies at the other troop.

If your son wishes to put some time in on the new unit, great! If he wants to put in time with his buddies in the old unit, great too! Sounds like you have a son that really knows what that Eagle means!

Don't worry about the paperwork, it's the activity which is important. And what's to say your son isn't going to be the new unit's first Eagle? Some new fun "rivalries" might happen if the old troop sees it's work of not just your son, but the whole troop in general as they spin off a "sister" troop. Like an older "brother" they do what they can do to help out the other troop get on it's feet. Being 30 miles away, it should not cause any recruiting competition, but might bode well for the old troop to take some honest credit for getting this new troop going.

A number of years back my old troop "adopted" another troop from another council who had not ever gone on any high adventure outings. They lined up neckers, t-shirts, and patches to "unite" the expedition, and hosted them on a trip to the BWCA. Our boys had a blast, but the other troop was so appreciative that they talked for many years after about how those Cheese Heads took the time to help the Flatlanders have a great time!

Not all troop interaction has to be competitive! Cooperative efforts are often more rewarding.

Stosh

"Then a troop was created that's sole purpose was to go to Canada for a 50 Miler expediation."

We have groups of scouts do this all the time...why would they need to form a troop? Sounds like just a DE trying to meet his numbers.

Well, I'm not really sure of the whys, hows nor the wherefores, but I do recall that a "special" troop was formed of the boys, from my council,that were attending the 1977 National Jamboree. We all hailed from this troop, that troop, or the other troop, then all formed one single troop. That could well be Eagle92's experience with his Canada expedition.

Same with my 1989 Jamboree troop. I know it happened because it screwed up the registrar check when I applied for my first BSA Veteran status card. For some reason, they only found me registered with my troop starting in September 1989 (Jambo was August 1989), and initially didn't give me credit for the 3 years of registration prior to that date.

That said, based on my results, it seems I was temporarily transferred out of my regular unit into the the temporary one, not registered to both at the same time.

While we did go to Jambo, we only were there a few days. It may have been for unit insurance purposes, but I honestly don't know how or why it happened, I was a scout at the time and was only concerend about raising money to go and having fun ;)

One thing that did to mind is this: Is you son in the OA? If so there is a new program call OA MENTOR and is designed for expereinced scouts to help those units just starting, or needing help. THAT mey be soemhting to look into. And when isay new, I beleive ti came out this past year.

Stosh,

Den Chiefs are not dual registered, yet spend a lot of time with a Cub Pack.

Your is a fallacious argument. Den Chief is a Warrant Office designed to provide leadership reachback from Boy Scouting to Cub Scouting. A Den Chief is not a registered youth member of a Pack.

We were actually told by council level about boys being able to be dual registered. Our Troop now's SM has offered some support to this effort. I have mentioned for some time that if they could get enough boys for a Troop maybe they could camp with another Troop til the boys were more established.

If they are able to be dual registered, my son would technically be registered with 3 Troops (original, new and Jamboree) and is Den Chief for the Pack in our community.

Thanks everybody for sharing your answers and thoughts.

Eagle 92, My son is not a member of OA. He was hoping to be elected last election, but didn't make it. And not to brag, but yes my son does have the spirit of an Eagle Scout. It has been a long trip, but he has just about made it.