Getting Involved Again

I've been lurking around the forums for awhile after wanting to get re-involved with Scouting, but I'd like some advice.

I'm fairly young (only 30) and I'm not sure of the best way to get involved. What positions would be good? I've been a Unit Commissioner in the past, but that was a fairly short stint before I moved. Any ideas?

Another concern is the possibility of another move coming up. I'm looking for a move back to the law and up to a different area. Should I wait and get involved in the council I move to or get involved now? I really have no idea how long the job search will take and certainly don't want to put off getting involved if it's going to take awhile. On the other hand, I don't want to get involved and then leave after only a short time.

Suggestions?

AMULLS,

Welcome and YES GET INVOLVED! I also moved around alot, try 5 different councils in 7 years with being registered in one of those councils during 2 separate time frames. It was worth it, and gave me a bunch of ideas on how scouting is done aroudn the US and what can work.

When my son got involved in scouting, I renewed my involvement in scouting. It was natural for me because he was a Tiger.

Well, my younger brother thought that getting back into scouting would be good too, but his son was an infant.

I told him to go down to the Council office, and tell the SE that you want to volunteer. Geesh! He didn't have to worry about finding something useful to do! He did a lot of necessary jobs for many years before finally settling down to Tiger Cub Coach when his boy finally got old enough to join. He was a UC, he reorganized a troop and started yet another. He had a blast!

Go down there today! Tell them you're willing to do anything that is useful for promoting scouting in your area. When you move, do the same thing at the new council office! Scouting will always have a place for you!

Stosh

Thanks for the replies, all. I was already planning to swing by the scout office on my way home from work today, so I'll go ahead and grab a registration form while I'm there.

Any ideas for volunteer spots? Or should I just let the council know that I'm able to help wherever I'm needed and let them decide?

Andy

I'm going to offer an opionion, and we all know what opinions can be like ;) When you go into the local council office, talk to the DE and get info on the state of the district. Depending upon your other committments: work, family, school, etc. as well as your expereince and training with the BSA, you may be needed to help out as an ASM or ACM with a unit, or more than likely asked to help out on the disctrict committee. And that is the route I went.

I stayed on the district level until oldest becasme a TC becasue i didn't 1) show any partiality to any specific unit until the time came for oldest to be a TC, esp. since I'm a previous DE and worked with most of the leaders still active sicne my time and 2)I got to know the strengths and weaknesses of each unit and was able to get feel for my son's fit into each unit.