Stupid question,but here it goes, if NYLT and WB21C are so similar, why would someone who went through NYLT as a youth, whether as a Scout or Venturer, want to go through WB21C when they become a Scouter or over 18 Venturer?(This message has been edited by eagle92)

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Stupid question,but here it goes, if NYLT and WB21C are so similar, why would someone who went through NYLT as a youth, whether as a Scout or Venturer, want to go through WB21C when they become a Scouter or over 18 Venturer?"

Good question.

While I have a NYLT syllabus, I haven't fully reviewed it. A lot of the leadership concepts are shared between the 2.

But I recall when I went thru WB as an young, 20-something scouter, that some of my fellow scouters of the same age didn't see the value in going to WB. They felt as Eagle Scouts, having gone thru & staffed TLTC (the NYLT of its day) that there was nothing for them to learn in WB.

In an earlier post I stated "Remember, we are teaching LEADERSHIP and INSTRUCTIONAL (EDGE method) skills, not just outdoor scout skills, in both NYLT and WB21C, even though it is delivered using the patrol method (a/k/a small group break out or teams)."

NYLT and WB21C are similar but not the same course. The subject matter is taught on a different level for WB21C and uses a more thought provoking set of questions in some of the activities and team building exercises. That said NYLT does not include some of the subjects (i.e. Generations etc.) and does not start with participants in a Den as Cub Scouts and progress into the Venturing program.

EMB21 writes, in part, "...that some of my fellow scouters of the same age didn't see the value in going to WB. They felt as Eagle Scouts, having gone thru & staffed TLTC (the NYLT of its day) that there was nothing for them to learn in WB..."

There are many things that can be learned from both WB21C and the current NYLT. Among them are the leadership and team building /team work aspects which can (and should) apply to the world outside of scouting. We all learn something, no matter how insignificant it may seem at the time, from each training event we participate in.

Just my thoughts.

Stupid question,but here it goes, if NYLT and WB21C are so similar, why would someone who went through NYLT as a youth, whether as a Scout or Venturer, want to go through WB21C when they become a Scouter or over 18 Venturer?

Oooh, ooh! < waves hand in air > Beads!