Transfering scouts and leadership positions..

Is there any BSA rule regarding the new transfer scout having to wait before he holds a leadership position in his new troop?

There is a troop (won't mention which one) that is telling a newly transferred boy (who is a 1st class scout) that he needs to wait 4 months before he can hold a position. The boy transferred into the troop about a week before elections and was looking for a position so he could obtain his next rank. Holding him for 4 months means 6 months since positions are held for that long and he would miss this election process...

Is this right or because he is not new to scouting and is a 1st class, he can run for a position?

Don't think there is any rule that states there is a waiting period to be eligible for a POR if a Scout transfers in from another unit. That said, I think it is a good idea. A waiting period will allow the Scout time to integrate into his new unit and will allow the new unit to get to know the Scout better.

The SM can also assign a project for the boy to do to fulfill his POR while he is waiting out his time. I always find it difficult to justify holding back someone with such rules. If some hot-shot boy transfers in, why wait to use his skills in the troop?

Stosh

BSA certainly has no such rule and I've never known a troop to have in internal one. (Not even the Air Force troop I once served.)

I've also never seen a scout transfer in and win an election to SPL or PL a week later. The dynamics with most troops - even military-sponsored troops where there are lots of transfers - just won't bring a new guy into the group fast enough for that to be likely. It's possible a new guy, who immediately makes a strong positive impression, might convince the new SPL to select him for one of the other staff jobs (instructor, etc.), but not a certainty. Most SPLs want to know their staff selections are ready to step up to the challenge of the job.

Part of this depends on the age/rank structure of the new incoming scout and new troop. If he's an older 1st Class Scout coming into a young troop, he'll find his opportunities quickly. If he's a young 1st Class and the new troop has lots of older guys who are actively engaged in the numerous positions, he's going to have a tougher time proving to them he's ready.

What's the situation here?

Assuming he doesn't find himself holding a position immediately, there's plenty he can and should be doing. First off, jump in and get active in everything the troop is doing. Have a positive attitude, make friends, have fun camping, get to be known as a good guy who knows how to have fun and how to work hard. He can start working on Merit Badges and getting those in the bag. If he's really a fast burner, he'll have made an impression and won't have any trouble getting elected or selected for PORs from here on out. He'll be planning an Eagle Project before you know it and the few months waiting for that first POR will be irrelevant.

As stated, there is no such BSA rule, although there may be a troop policy.

That said, I disagree with the troop if it is their policy. While I see why they might not want an SPL, ASPL, PL etc. to be a boy that did not know the others in the troop well (would he even be elected/appointed in that case???) I see no reason to deny someone the chance to serve as QM, Librarian, scribe and so forth. That would probably help him integrate even sooner.

Seems especially wrong on a military post where the lads may transfer out every two years.

Yah, policy or not I reckon it's just reality, eh?

Imagine in da adult world if some fellow shows up at the doorstep of your club or professional organization and demands to be an officer his first week. Not only is it not goin' to happen, everyone is going to think the fellow is a cad.

I expect a "troop policy" in such a case is at least partly a way of saving a boy's feelings. Easier to complain about the policy and then get on with things than it is to make a very negative first impression and get shot down. And it's partly just a practical thing, eh? Every troop does stuff differently, and a new fellow needs time to learn and adapt to da new culture before he's ever going to be successful leading.

I think da real issue is that adults have to get whapped upside da head every time they try to rush rank advancement on some sort of schedule, or encourage that attitude in boys. Getting comfortable and making new friends is far more important to a lad who is transferring in. Let that happen. Election to leadership and other recognitions will follow when it's time.

Beavah

So what we are saying is that its a good idea to get a handle on a relative newcomers attitide and skills and wait to see what sort of record he establishes before allowing to have a Position of Responsibility in a Troop.

The Troop needs to see what sort of charactor he has, how he works in crisis and who his friends are

I think it makes sense

There tends to be an attitude that if a scout needs a POR he should be given one, whether he is responsible or not. I don't find it unreasonable to not put a new member into a POR until he shows that he is capable doing the task. I would be willing to have him lead a special project to fill the requirement and show his mettle. I'd suggest that this scout ask about such a project.

bearshark - our opinions on weather or not this is right has no bearing on the fact that this is the way it is.

You Scout just has to learn how to deal with it.

The SCOUT should talk to his SM about a Scoutmaster assigned leadership project to help the Troop. This can substitute for the POR requirement.