removing an assistant scoutmaster from a troop

We are having troubles with an assistant who refuses to recognize the scoutmaster as the person in charge. To make a long story short, we have tried working with him, talking to him and now have gone to the IH , who is dragging his heals on this matter. In the interim, this ASM is using the boys to undermine the SM to an alarming degree. What can we do before we lose our troop altogether?

Welcome. Same question as Scoutldr.

If you are anyone other than the COR, CC or SM, this is not your business, rather it is theirs.

First, I will presume no one has yet had a friendly or businesslike talk with Mr ASM. That should be Mr SM, as he is Mr ASM's volunteer supervisor. CC should have SM's back.

If those conversations have not happened, then they need to. If they work, problem solved.

If they don't work, next layer up is bring IH/COR in ... and have them send the message that ASM works for the SM, and his service depends on SM primarily but CC recommending continued service.

If the message still doesn't sink in, then SM/CC have business meeting with COR/IH and ask ...

- That ASM be told he's no longer welcome in the facility of the Chartered Partner.

- That Council be notified that ASM is no longer welcome in Troop ABC.

OR... if recharter is near:

- ASM be told his membership will not be renewed by (Chartered Partner name here).

Those are the mechanics. What's really going on?

Your issue isn't really with the ASM, its with the SM (or his / her lack of leadership on the issue).

If the SM isn't going to stand up for his / herself and LEAD, then a vacuum of leadership is replaced by whoever is willing to step in (sounds like this ASM).

First lesson learned in ROTC - "If you ever have to tell or remind someone that you are the person in charge, then you are not really in charge."

The SM and CC need to have a friendly chat off line with the ASM, if he doesn't change his tune - then boot him. It would be nice to have the backing of the COR and as much of the committee as possible, but if the SM and CC are on the same page, then you can move forward.

If the SM and CC don't agree - then you have a much larger issue in your unit.

If you are NOT the SM or the CC - then this issue is really none of your concern, other than to let the SM and CC know you will support them fully if they decide to address the issue.

Rather than getting rid of the ASM, is it possible to delegate some very specific tasks to him? This process can help define what jobs need to be done and who does what, thereby letting him know what he doesn't do as well. He may be getting out of control because the SM has not defined leadership roles. A Scoutmaster meeting can help this process greatly and let everyone know who does what.

An enthusiastic adult leader is a terrible thing to waste!

lneubs51

Hi and Welcome.

It would seem to me that if this has gone to the IH, the Troop can do little but wait and see what happens.

Once the CO has decided what is going to happen, it will then be up to the adults in the unit to decide what they want to do?

If the CO decides that this person is no longer needed, the choice really shouldn't be that hard.

Of course the youth members might have a very different take on all of this, so the remaining adults should maybe be prepared for a storm and maybe the loss of some of the youth members. (Maybe even a couple of adults.)

If the CO decides that there is no good reason to remove this person.

Then the remaining adults need to look at what their options are?

From what you have posted, it seems to me that these options are very limited.

Eamonn.

lneubs51,

I have received and responded to your PMs. You need to bring your SM and COR into the same room at the same time for a friendly talk. If you three are on the same page, all should come out well. If you are not, then your unit has bigger problems than one ASM.

Just a gentle reminder to all - the Scoutmaster (SM) does not choose or refuse individuals to be Assistant Scoutmasters (SAs). That is the job of the charter organization (COR & IH). However, the SM does assign tasks to the SAs so the choices of the SM are to either assign the troublesome SA a new task or no task.

• 3 weeks later...

acco,

In our Troop, I (as SM) do choose who is going to be an ASM. On paper, we can say it is the COR and CC, but the reality is they aren't going to assign anyone to ASM if I don't approve. Why would they do that? We take a full year to evaluate anyone who wishes to be an ASM. If, after that year I said no, this person doesn't understand the program, doesn't work well with the boys, whatever the case may be, why would the CC and COR then assign them to the position? Maybe there is a reason, but I sure can't think of one.

Yah, I'm with BrentAllen, eh?

If I'm meetin' with a committee or COR on a unit leader/assistant unit leader selection, da very first thing I tell 'em is that the current unit leaders (SM and ASMs) absolutely must agree enthusiastically on the appointment.

Doin' anything else never has a good outcome.

Beavah

We had a similar problem when I was the SM. I crafted a letter to have the ASM removed, took it to my COR and asked them to sign it. I then took the signed letter to my council office & presented it to my DE & voila - GONE!