Good for them - always nice to see positive press.

boomerscout - I hope your comment was "tounge in cheek". I don't care if they are in our out of uniform, so long as they are getting positive press as scouters. They looked sharp. BTW - when I was a scout, the only guys that wore anything besides blue jeans with their scout shirt was because their parents make enough $$ to justify buying the entire uniform. I was lucky to get a non-hand-me down scout shirt and was happy when I got one fresh off the rack.

I've easily spent 3x the amount of unifroming my son (currently a Bear in cubs) than my folks were EVER able to spend on me my entire scouting career. Its all a matter of perspective.

Uh... I don't recall saying take away their rank. I do recall questioning if they looked "sharp." To me, they look out of uniform, certainly not "sharp." Do they not have even one pair of uniform pants to wear for a photograph to run in the paper? Do they wear jeans when they go camping?

"Smartness in uniform and correctness in detail may seem a small matter, but has its value in the development of self-respect and means an immense deal to the reputation of the Movement among outsiders who judge by what they see."

Baden-Powell

"One slovenly Scout, inaccurately dressed, may let down the whole Movement in the eyes of the public."

Baden-Powell

Brent may have a point, however in my neck of the country it is rare to see a boy scout in full uniform anymore. Yesterday I saw an entire troop doing a fundraiser were in uniform shirts and jeans, which seems to have become the norm rather than the exception. In any case the accomplishment is what should be emphasized not the pants. I have a feeling the two older boys probably are not scouts anymore anyway given the year they received their Eagles, so it is amazing they still had their shirts and neckers. Anyway Boy Scouts needs all the good publicity and PR it can get to keep the movement alive in the public eye.

Interesting comment on the pressures of modern American society:

"In an achievement-oriented society, more and more boys are joining scouting and a greater number are sticking with the program long enough to earn the Eagle Scout rank, organization leaders say."

Check. They're wearing blue jeans. At least they're uniformly wearing blue jeans. The comment above to me is far more important, as it focuses on why many youth serving activities are seeing pressures on kids to do things.

Hmmm... The picture our local paper took of an Scout doing his Eagle Project show him astride a 4-wheeler pulling a large log out of a pond. He is in full uniform with necker and hat. He did have his sleeves rolled up, but his shirt was tucked into his uniform pants.

By the way, it was not a posed photograph, he was in uniform for the whole day directing the park clean up.

It is possible to look nice at all times and especially when one is doing a posed photo op.

Stosh