ScoutinGermany,

You do know that "every now and then (with approval of parents) we have 3 day airsoft gun battles.' are banned by G2SS?

From the G2SS found here on page 33 which the most current version

http://www.scouting.org/filestore/pdf/34416.pdf

11. Pointing any type of firearm or simulated firearm at any individual is unauthorized. Scout units may plan or participate in paintball, laser tag or similar events where participants shoot at targets that are neither living nor human representations. Units with council approval may participate in formally organized historical reenactment events, where firearms are used and intentionally aimed over the heads of the reenactment participants. The use of paintball guns, laser guns

or similar devices may be utilized in target shooting events with council approval and following the Sweet 16 of BSA Safety. Council approval means the approval of the Scout Executive or his designee on a tour permit specifically outlining details of the event. (However, law enforcement departments and agencies using firearms in standard officer/agent training may use their training agenda when accompanied with appropriate safety equipment in the Law Enforcement Exploring program.)

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SP,

Now did I say I like that policy? HECK NO! I remember the awesome time 1 OA chapter had at a lazer tag lockin (this was when it was not against G2SS) and when I kicked POME butt with my fellow camp "service crew" members in the UK.

But them's the rules, and I will follow them. Will I do whaterver I can to change it, absolutely.

Hello Eagle 92,

Thank you for taking the time to post the relevant portion of the Guide to Safe Scouting.

I was just adding my own disappointment with this issue. I didn't interpret your post as supporting it, just informing readers of the policy.

The motivation for this policy appears to be the idea that it's bad for children to point things at a person that the child might imagine was a firearm. I have no objection to such a rule that involves actual firearms.

It's not clear to me if this is an actual prohibition on such activities, or merely guidance a unit leader may choose to disregard if they choose. Perhaps someone can help me with that...

SeattlePioneer: The G2SS is pretty clear on this one - unauthorized.

Now some of us have wondered how this would apply to squirt guns, flour bombs, and other wide area games we used to play as Scouts. However, the G2SS specifically lists paintball and lazertag, and I expect a future re-write to add in the airsoft guns as well - no wiggle room there.

Horizon,

Unfortunately it's this line that covers waterpistols, et al.

Pointing any type of firearm or simulated firearm at any individual is unauthorized.

Cap are my emphasis.

What I've found interesting is that their is an exemption for LE Explorers. So I bet lasertag will become a 'training session" since it does teach close quarters searches.

Boy, we love dissecting the language, don't we?

Unauthorized: "not having official permission," according to the World English Dictionary.

No matter if you think it's stupid or not, you can't do it as a Scouting activity. Go with your family, go with your son's friends, go by yourself, just don't do it under the mantle of Scouting or use Scouting to promote it.

trust me this policy puts a big damper on my CSDC, one of the highlites was the water pistol wars.

On another note, There are lazer tag devices that are not shaped like firarms. I got 4 that look like a Spiderman webshooter worn on the wrist

When was the big surge in sheath knife injuries that caused this paranoid streem of BS. I would venture to say over the years there have been many times more injuries with hatchets (hand axes)

I almost never carry a knife since when I am with scouts saying who's got a knife is like a blond in a bar saying who's got a light. When we go to Philmont a crew has at most 1 or 2 and none of them are very big.

The rule is don't be careless and cut yourself.

For the record in 30 years as a leader i have seen 4 hatchet injuries, none from carrying or using a sheath knife