Hi, everyone! Brand new asst. DL here.

All of our Bear cubs recently earned their Whittling Chips. I would like to have a simple project for them to do during our upcoming campout. I have been able to locate small blocks of balsa wood at Hobby Lobby, but I need a simple pattern to get the boys started. All I have been able to find so far are fairly complicated patterns on the internet. Does anyone know of any simple patterns for novice whittlers? Or, should we just stick to shaving craft sticks for a while? The boys are all so eager to use their knives and I want them to do so, but I recognize their limited skills. Any input is appreciated at this point.

Tent stakes are a simple thing to do, then put a rope ring around a tree and let them tie thier tent stakes out to it, kinda see it work. Just clip some round limbs with your limb shears. Let the bark fly.

Personally, I wouldn't use balsa wood for beginning carvers. It's so soft that if their knives are half as sharp as they should be, it'll slip right through almost too easily and have the potential to get someone hurt. You could try soap carving - get good thick bars of plain Ivory. It has a bit more resistance than balsa. (And you'll be able to clean a wound when someone slices themselves open... kidding, kidding.)

If you have wood of the right dimensions, try a spoon. It's simple, functional and everyone knows what it should look like. Some kids (and adults!) just can't envision the three-dimensional figure trapped in that square or rectangular block of wood, so if you have a real 3D example, that'll help.

Whittling is not very simple but can be a lot of fun. Lots of sharpening and resharpening to keep the edge sharp; dull knives slip along the contour of the wood and into soft flesh. Lots of patience to make the small, careful cuts when carving designs so start small wth less detailed work. Easy projects include sharpening the end of a stick to roast marshmallows or hot dogs, pot hooks/lid lifters from forked branches, and tent pegs.

If you and the Bears are ready for something more complicted:

Cut the blocks into small 3" x 3" squares, draw circles on all sides, and have each boy carve their own ball. They don't have to be perfectly round and it helps them understand how something flat can be round with carving. This helps build skills needed later.

You may find these links helpful:

http://blog.makezine.com/archive/2008/01/whittling_is_easy.html

http://www.wikihow.com/Whittle-a-Ball-in-a-Cage

http://antiquetools.com/sharp/(This message has been edited by ntrog8r)

I recall those bear days fondly

Start with Ivory soap, sharp pen knife and make a simple boat or canoe

After the 1st one of soap, do a balsa wood wagon wheel, its a simple template that you can make

Buy some 1/2 pvc pipe couplers, not the slip variety but ones with threads.

Then hot glue the wagon wheel to the pipe coupler to make a necker slide

Herer is a link to a place where you can get some simple neckerchief carving projects

www.paulssupplies.com

Check out the neckerchief section. THey have a lot of simple to carve projects.

Hope this helps

Thanks for the great ideas, everyone! We've done a bit of Ivory soap carving, on the night the boys got their WC. (Even my 3 year old, who is the "mascot" of the den got to "carve" some soap with a plastic picnic knife! :D) Nobody got cut, whew!

Those web sites look promising. I think we'll stick to sticks, for a while. I'm thinking of having them whittle their sticks for marshmallow roasting. Maybe we'll try a simple pattern for a slide, especially if it rains at camp.

Keep the ideas coming; I'm so clueless about all this "boy" stuff!

Thanks!