So what arbitrary rules do you enforce?

We only have 3 rules:

1) Safety First

2) Look and act like a Scout

3) Have fun

The boys have all agreed they are good rules and enforce them by peer pressure.

#1 can be enforced by anyone at any time

#2 is usually enforced by the boys

#3 is often applied in cases of homesickness or boredom

Stosh

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have many of the same rules as others, no pop, soda, soda pop, Coke or however you want to call it. No electronics, unzip the tent zipper completely, etc. We also require that all meals must have a minimum of 3 ingredients and they can't come out of the same package.

This encourages the boys to learn how to cook and not just heat something up. They are also required to use a Dutch oven for one of the meals. They have been pretty adventureous in their meal choices and none of them have returned home complaining of not having had enough to eat.

The arbitrary rule that I enforce but don't agree with is our "No Crocs anywhere scouting" that our pack has. Can't wear them for outdoor activities, nor for pack meetings. I had bought my oldest son "Offroad crocs" for use at campouts specifically, as they have a totally enclosed toe section. He still wears them everywhere but school and scouts and soccer. However, our pack committee voted this rule in, so I abide by it. The thing is, I'm just happy that my son is wearing shoes :-)

The arbitrary rule that I enforce but don't agree with is our "No Crocs anywhere scouting" that our pack has. Can't wear them for outdoor activities, nor for pack meetings. I had bought my oldest son "Offroad crocs" for use at campouts specifically, as they have a totally enclosed toe section. He still wears them everywhere but school and scouts and soccer. However, our pack committee voted this rule in, so I abide by it. The thing is, I'm just happy that my son is wearing shoes :-)

Realizing that all rules, arbitrary or otherwise always come about because of something(s) that occured, I leave you the troops I serve best rule with a back story, although you can pretty well figure out why it was implemented

The height of the campfire cannot exceed the diameter of the fire circle in which it is burning

No poptarts, unless there is a cooked meal to go with them. (and please share with the SM)

and for the Geezer Patrol (adults), I (SM) want a dessert on Saturday night.

Just last weekend the adult GM forgot the dessert. Luckily he did have a bag of apples so we combined Sugar, Cinnamon and Butter with a cored, sliced apple and baked each in the coals. Baked apples make a great dessert on a cold wet weekend.