So what arbitrary rules do you enforce?

Had some discussions on another thread so thought I'd start a new topic. I'd like this to be an INFORMATIVE thread, not a criticism if we can help it.

I had a rule when I first came in as SM - No Sticks. While an ASM we had a couple of scouts that started a fracas every time they picked up sticks, ie.. sword fights, poking others, sharpening ends so that it caused ( IMHO ) a safety situation, etc. So I banned all sticks.

How did I enforce it? The Look. Did I suspend/punish anyone? No. I was fortunate in that the scouts respected my requests.

But in the last few years, I've not had any issues with sticks. Maybe because I haven't had too many crossovers last coupla years, maybe the older scouts have informed the crossovers, maybe I just have kids who aren't inclined to cause those type of problems.

So what's yours?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't have a blanket "no sticks" rule but when the troop was asked to assemble, the sticks didn't come with the Scouts.

Some others I've had: no cell phones (youth), no soda/pop, ipods/mp3 players in tents & cars only.

I don't like mandatory rules but when the youth have absolutely no comprehension why having ear buds stuck in their ears 24/7 when having a conversation is rude then you throw reason out the window and come up with draconean arbitrary rules. :)(This message has been edited by acco40)

Yah, I know lots of troops with da no candy or soda thing, eh? Between da caffeine and the sugar and the wrappers left around for critters and the uneaten meals because the lads filled up on junk, it often begs for da arbitrary rule ;).

Latest permutation of that has been energy drinks, eh? These things are legion, just loaded with caffeine and sugar. Some lads treat 'em almost like alcohol and go on binges.

No portable gizmos other than GPS or cameras is common.

Stick-in-fire-stays-in-fire.

Know one scouter who got so tired of his teenagers squinting at everything and not bein' able to navigate that they implemented a "if you have corrective lenses you must wear corrective lenses" rule.

No boots in tent.

No Ramen Noodles or Pop-Tarts allowed.

Yah, and it wouldn't be Scouter.Com if we didn't mention "Patrols must camp at least 300 feet from each other" :)

Beavah

No soda/pop - empty (or no) calories. Expensive. Dehydrating (not hydrating) effect. Generally do not like to have individually packaged anything - pop tarts, pop, candy bars, lunchables, etc. Philmont does this and the amount of trash I've had to haul around the back country is enormous.

We really don't have an out right ban but we discourage it as the standby beverage.

Ramen Noodles is a staple in my backpack!

"Yah, I know lots of troops with da no candy or soda thing, eh? Between da caffeine and the sugar "

if that's the reason,then we'd also have to enforce no coffee or tea for anyone, either?

we allow candy as an afternoon energy boost, along with fruit. Not every meal has pop per our meal planning rules. Haven't seen any candy wrapper litter.

We have a no soda rule. Not sure why, cost I'd guess. We go gatorade or water.

If you put a stick in the fire it has the stay there. Safey thing.

Only a troop or patrol quartermaster can go into the trailer. About a year after the bridge over, no one wants to anyway.

We did the no cell phones (youth), no soda/pop, ipods/mp3 players in tents & cars only.

Cell phones - more of toy

Soda/Pop - too much sugar

iPods/MP3 Players - not necessary

We always stated "Enjoy the outdoors"

No Ramen noodles eh?

We have a patrol that always eats noodles. They plan their menu and you can bet it will include Ramen. They are always the first to clean, cook and stow gear so they can go play frisbee or whatever. They often cook, eat & clean while others are still cooking. Cooking just isn't that interesting to them.

OTOH we have a patrol that loves to take two or three hours to eat, cook & clean.

Different Strokes I guess.

adj.

Determined by chance, whim, or impulse, and not by necessity, reason, or principle

I don't consider any of the above rules to be "arbitrary". They all have reasons. Do the scouts understand the reasons?

"No sheath knives". Now, THAT's arbitrary.

The only rule I can think of off hand was requiring uniforms while traveling. Our Troop got rather large and I was told a large group of boys running around a Quick Stop can be quite intimidating for a store clerk. A uniform shows adults are responsibile for which boys.

The way we solved the soda pop problem was the PLC restricted pop to only one meal and only from two liter bottles. Strangely, and I don't know why, but patrols almost quit bringing soda pop altogether.

Barry

Back when I was a Scout, the Troop had a "No Socks in Camp" till Lunchtime" rule!

I know it sounds silly, but the idea behind it was that once your socks got wet from the dew, your feet were wet all day.

Strange thing is that I can't remember anyone ever questioning it! Lord knows we were at an age when we questioned everything.

I tend to have pet peeves.

Some peeves last a very long time some seem to fade away.

I used to have a "No rap music" in my car rule. I kinda grew into liking some rap songs.

I do ask that people don't talk on the phone when we are driving. This came about after a female Sea Scout talked to her sweet-heart for over three hours one Friday night.

I was ready to toss her cell phone out the window! Now they make calls at rest stops.

Scouts who ride in the passenger seat of the car I'm driving are expected to read the map.

I can't stand the smell of hard boiled eggs or peanut butter, so I have a no peanut butter or hb egg eating rule in my car.

I have always insisted that Patrols (Crews) eat together at the same time. (No individual eating or cooking.)

No tennis-shoes in the ax yard!

Please don't call me Mr. Walsh.

If you come to my house you are expected to eat. (Peanut butter and hard boiled eggs are never served!)

Ea.

We were noticing Scouts were not eating the food on their menus and were recieving complaints from parents that their son's were complaining that they had nothing good to eat on campounts. Then one cabin trip where there was an upstairs loft it was litterly raing candy wrappers throught the slots in the wooden floor above....

"No candy on campouts"

Seems that simpathetic moms would send them off with all sorts of candy.

Beginning next campout they ate very well.(This message has been edited by NealOnWheels)