• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eagle 92,

That's interesting. I have never seen that version of the card before. The one I have gotten from the council shop does not mention the Bear achievement at all. Is this an older or newer one? I haven't actually bought one in a couple of years.

Its "traditionally" done as part of the Bear achievements for rank, but there is nothing I have found that states that a cub must be in their "bear" year or earn the Bear rank prior to earning the Whittling Chip.

This came up in our unit this summer at cub-camp. Only had ONE wolf scout attend with a bunch of Bears and Webelos. The "lone Wolf" as he was know at our camp did the requirements and thus I awarded him his "whittling chip" at the next pack show along with the bears that had earned it at camp as well.

Funny - had a couple pack parents (including members of the pack committee) question if he could earn it. I told them, show me where it says he can't, because I couldn't find it.

Just because its "tradition" or "how we've always done it in OUR unit" does NOT mean its BSA policy. Tradition and policy are often confused in our organization I have found.

This is one of those judgment calls. If a boy is motivated and interested enough and the leaders think he's responsible enough, then no adult should dampen that boy's initiative because they have some personal arbitrary unwritten rule. This is similar to the unwritten rule that no boy should be allowed to get Eagle before his XX birthday, one that I still encounter in adults who have some personal thought that they know best what an Eagle should be. I have seen plenty of boys in a Wolf Den who could have passed their WC as safely as those who are Bears.

Edited typo(This message has been edited by packsaddle)

Here's one that I've had to deal with a few too many times...

An out-of-control teen dropped of by their uninvolved parental unit(s) will automatically gain character and become a respectable citizen simply by attending a few Troop meetings and maybe an occasional camping trip.

We actually had a single mom scream at us that we weren't doing enough for her 14 yr old problem child, and his behavior was out fault when we told her he was no longer welcome at Troop meetings and activities. He attended two Troop meetings and one camping trip of disaster!

packsaddle

The Eagle age came up today. I was talking with a work colleague about my son who is 14 yo 3 mo will be going for his EBOR in two weeks or so.

She told me it was illegal to make Eagle before 16 yo as it was a National rule. Of course I laughed at her and asked her to show me the rule.

Her troop by laws have the written rule and she believes it comes from National. In her Troop she states that a boy is not allowed to do an Eagle project till all the MB's are done, again a National rule.

eghiglie, yeah I've heard of those kinds of rules here and there. Thing is, if a local leader wants to make that rule, and no one objects, he'll be able to make it and it might even become some kind of tradition. As long as the troop is doing well and the numbers stay good, BSA probably won't do anything. It's indicative of the risks that we have if BSA ever does officially move toward 'local option'.

Myth: Two-deep (adult) leadership is required for all Scouting activities.

Fact: Two registered adult leaders or one registered leader and a parent of a participant, one of whom must be 21 years of age or older, are required on all trips and outings. (Source G2SS) However, this "fact" while stated in the G2SS is incorrect because one may have a patrol outing with zero adult leaders if Scoutmaster approval is given.(This message has been edited by acco40)

Liquid fuels (bug juice?) are not banned. However, from the G2SS - The use of liquid fuels for starting any type of fire is prohibited.

I've had arguments when folks brought charcoal lighter fluid (banned in my book) to outings.

I know this is kinda just rambling but I think this topic really needs to be addressed. I've always loved the line "We've always done it that way!". That should be a red light that something's not right! Scouting is supposed to be fun and educational at the same time. By adding more requirements to ranks/merit badges, it makes it harder for that scout to earn them. I really wish councils/districts/units would not interfere with the policies already dictated by national and let these boys have the opportunities they deserve. Whether it's how the Bobcat Badge is earned in Cubs or those going for their Eagle, there's already policies set forth in the national policies that direct scouts and scouters on how awards are earned. A scout in one area can receive a specific award when another scout who is of the same age/level can't. This doesn't make sense to me. Every Scout deserves those awards when the requirements are met through National's eyes, shouldn't be anyone else interfering with that! My suggestion for all these myths you hear (and if there's doubt): Ask to see it in writing from national!