In my area, Lehigh Valley and Philadelphia, I have seen multiple TV commercials based on a "Be a Scout" theme, some showing only Cub Scouts and others with all prgrams represented. Then over the weekend in Conn. I saw some Be a Scout billboards as well.

Anyone else notice such things?

beascout.org is run by the Cradle of Liberty Council. I'd assume that's Philly?

I haven't seen the commercials, not being in that metro area, but the Web site is not impressive. There are a lot of typos ("Den-Leader") and just plain bad information. (E.g.: "All adult leader positions, such as Scoutmaster, Committee Chair, and Committee Members, are filled by volunteer parents..." Really? That'd be a shock to my old SM, who didn't have a kid in the troop...)

I'm really surprised that an individual council saw the need to launch such an effort when National already has the web infrastructure set up. But I've seen a lot of links from other council pages to beascout.org over the last few weeks and months, so I guess it's gathering steam.

In addition, there's no mention of or link to Venturing program information. I wonder why that is. Is Venturing not big in CoL?(This message has been edited by shortridge)

Right now it's just a local effort. I think the National Headquarters should be fronting these ad campaigns on the big 3 networks, Fox News, and CNN. Think of campaigns you've seen at different times from LDS, Episcopal Church, Methodists, even Scientology.

From here:

http://ideas.scouting.org/akira/dtd/23153-2119

cshelley 8 days ago

In the Philly media market we've pooled our resources and you'll see ads all over local and national morning shows as well as an occasional primtime show on network and cable. It's helped with new parents, but more importantly galvanized volunteers who are excited to see us advertising (Finally! They say).

We'll be on the radio al through October focused on popcorna nd Scouting generally (it is Poptober,afterall).

Our share of the cost? Less than $2,000. Thanks to Chuck Eaton & Marc Ryan in Cradle of Liberty for leading the charge on this. I guess a long way to say if you want it to happen, you can make it happen locally if you collaborate with other Councils that share your media market.

Craig Shelley, SE, Jersey SHore Council

While the site may have a few flaws, it does work. It has lead several boys to our Troop and Pack. Yard signs are distributed to units and posted throughout town. When you visit BeAScout.org you key in your zip code, and it will direct you to local units and their contact info, meeting place, etc. Registration is available online too. All in all, it's been a wonderful program which has increased the visibility of the scouts in the community.

I like it, and it has helped our units grow.