Ski Helmets Required

The new GSS requires helmets for all downhill skiing activities. Can anybody tell me precisely what this means? I would love to get gear for our Troop and Crew, but $ is an issue. The standard ski helmets are sized precisely and cost at least $75. Is this what we are expected to use?

Is there any headgear out there that could be dual-use (e.g., skiing and rock climbing)?

The slopes are pretty tame here in Western PA are pretty tame, so this rule may be a deal-breaker for some youth.

The verbiage is:

Appropriate personal protective equipment is required for all activities. This includes the recommended use of helmets for all participants engaged in winter sports such as sledding and other sliding devices. The use of helmets is required for the following activities: downhill skiing, snowboarding and operation of snowmobiles (full face helmets).

In BSA online writings, boldface denotes policy. The use of helmets is not boldface, thus it's what it says, a recommendation.

May I suggest to the next odd mod encountering this, that it be moved somewhere outside Advancementland?

Learning to ski on the bunny slope to beat all bunny slopes (the 2 1/4 Lift at Boreal Ridge) I almost got skulled on several occasions, so headgear seems like a good idea no matter how tame the hill. Look into rentals. And if that's not an option, I doubt the ski patrol or anyone else will care if your wearing rock climbing or bike helmets. And the G2SS doesn't specify sport-specific helmets...yet...

By the way....if you're having a coronary over the cost of helmets, how in the hell can you afford a lift ticket...Out here it ain't much less.

As a safety professional, I can tell you that wearing the wrong PPE is just as bad as wearing none. The defense that "well, the BSA recommended it, but it wasn't in bold print" won't hold much water, I don't think. I don't mean to be harsh, but is that what a child's life is worth? 75 bucks? Would you let them play football or baseball without helmets? What's the diff?

http://www.reuters.com/article/peopleNews/idUSTRE52I0FZ20090319

Having skied for over 40 years now, when I was a youth, the only people wearing helmets were downhill racers. When my own kids started skiing about 10 years ago, they were mandatory for the kids. I also started wearing one. Now I won't hit the slopes without one. Too many opportunities to scramble the gray matter.

If a scout owns his own gear, chances are helmets are part of the package. If he rents, most rental shops include helmets as part of the package.

As for multi-sport helmets, the do exist, but are usually a compromise. Ski helmets provide warmth, where a skateboard helmet needs lots of ventilation. Bike helmets are usually single impact. They are made super light and designed to break apart on impact.

If a scout does enough skiing or snowboarding on his own where he owns his own equipment he should also own a ski/boarding helmet. Like Gern, when I started my kids out skiing, I started them with helmets and they still wear them now that they're in college, as do most of their contemporaries. I also now where a helmut every time I ski.

For those that rent their gear and only ski or snowboard occaisionally, most ski areas offer helmets for rent at a relatively inexpensive rate. There really is no excuse. We do a ski/snowboard trip annually and all the scouts are required to wear helmets and we've had no problem doing it.

SA