I am looking for imformation and input. I am an Eagle scout and a decorated former military officer. About 12 years ago I went to move my sister in law from Florida and was pulled over for speeding, I gave the state trooper permission to search my vehicle and he found cocaine, my sister in law said it was not hers and being as it was my vehicle I was charged and convicted of a felony. I want to be involved again with scouting and start a troop in my area, but, as we know the application process aks about having been convicted of a crime. Is it possible to be approved or are there crimes one may have looked over or is it just a flat out NO. We base the scout oath on God and we know His policy on forgiveness. What are your thoughts on this?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would also point out that scouting is not a Christian (or any other religious) organization. One need not be a member of any religion to be a scout and the scout law and oath are not explicitly based on any conception of a particular deity's policy on anything. And also, that if you want to put your best foot forward in matters where there are substance issues on your record, it is probably best not to use the name of an alcoholic beverage to get people's attention.

I wish you well. And ScoutNut's advice is solid. The scout unit's charter organization has considerable influence in matters pertaining to whom they will allow as volunteers in their units.

I appreciate the replies, I am being honest in this quest, in my opinion scouting was originally based on two things, military survival (British training for youth entering the military) and Christian beliefs. I am aware that there is a politically correct view, but, I believe that just the words "On my honor, I will do my best. To do my duty to God and my country..." I think that I will become a SM once again, I have contacted the BSA National Headquarters and have been basically told what to do and they believe also that this is a non-issue. Thank you... the millerlite was not refering to beer or drinking.

"in my opinion scouting was originally based on two things, military survival (British training for youth entering the military) and Christian beliefs."

That's your opinion.

A good reading of the history of the program will show that's not so. And there is nothing 'politically correct' about that.

"Duty to God" mearly means doing your religious duties, whatever they may be. The mistake many people make on both sides of the arguement is that it refers to the Christian God or the Judeo-Christian God.

Ditto the previous...

So many worms, so few cans...

I would note that it is also not so much what has been done, but what have you done lately? We would hope your present reputation is worthy of your desire to do good.

Go for it.

No one has yet noted the way the original poster described his situation. He said that he was charged because the vehicle was his and his sister-in-law denied the cocaine was hers. While that may be correct it falls short of the "whole truth," in my opinion.

If the cocaine was his, and he was convicted, why not own up to that fact now, both here and with the CO, etc.? If not, and he took the fall for her, that would seem to be relevant information, regardless of the legal record.

If it were up to me, I would request the arrest and court documents on the case and make my decision after reading them and having some substantial discussions with the prospective volunteer and his references.