"If it were up to me, I would request the arrest and court documents on the case ..."

Why? Just in case the first trial missed something? LMAO! You planning on taking depositions, as well?

This happened 12 years ago. 12 years! Does the fact that he kept his nose clean since then mean nothing?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some of you have got to the toughest crowd I have ever had the misfortune of being associated with.

I don't know much about the case but the same as all of you. Based only on his story how can you throw this guy under a bus. I have read many cases of people getting convicted of crimes that they didn't commit. Why can't we believe it was his sisters. And even if it was his it was 12 years ago and he paid for his mistake.

Basing this only on his story and an approved background check by BSA, I would not have any problem letting this man lead my son.

Many of you need to fall off your high horses and come back to earth.

Good luck on your application. Hope all turns out well!

Ditto mbrownkc7.

I can only guess that those who chose to criticize and ridicule must have a plethora of volunteers for their scouting program. Why would OMH bother to present his case to this forum, basically pleading for our help, if he were not the type of help we need?

OMH, if you're still out there, I apologize for the cheap shooters on this board. Scout Nut gave you good advice.

Good Luck!

Yah, hmmmm....

Just no way to comment on this without more info. There are certainly plenty of places in da country where the drug enforcement gets a little out of hand. Generally speakin', I'd expect that with any competent representation a decorated military officer in possession of a small amount of coke that may reasonably have been da property of a third party would be able to cop a plea for a misdemeanor charge or otherwise avoid a felony rap. I suspect what we have here is a larger, salable quantity. So while it's possible OMH was da victim of an overzealous prosecutor and incompetent personal representation, I reckon it's more likely they made a possession-with-intent/trafficking case or somesuch.

That to my mind is goin' to get in the way of any scout volunteerin'. It's hard to say "former drug dealer" is now a SM. But it just depends on da actual facts and circumstances.

I would certainly expect a CO and council to look into the matter in some detail.

And as da Blancmange suggested, I'd counsel OMH to look into havin' that record sealed or expunged.

Beavah

(This message has been edited by Beavah)

I'm sat sitting here thinking how strange my life is.

I live in an area where, to the best of my knowledge we have two maybe three African-American families.

One of the managers of the local McDonald's is African-American.

Sadly where I work the African-Americans outnumber everyone else. Sadly because it's a correctional facility.

I don't have to drive very far to find areas that are not as "Well to do" As the area where I live. Places where there is a higher African-American population. Places where kids grow up facing a lot more challenges than the kids in my area face.

These less fortunate areas are within the Council I serve.

But trying to find a local Scout Troop is next to impossible.

When I asked what the problem is?

I was informed that many of the men who might wan to step forward don't because in their youth they messed up and got caught with drugs or got caught dealing drugs.

While of course there are some people who should never be trusted to work with our youth and our children.

But many of these people have served their time. learned their lessons and changed their lives around.

If we are ever going to pay more than just lip service to really taking diversity to heart we need to find ways of looking at the person, not just the persons record.

Eamonn.

Let me get this straight. The original poster admitted being a convicted felon on drug charges. Remember, all convicts are innocent. Just ask them. Now he wants to be the SM of a unit and is worried about the background check. I say, based on what he's said, no thanks. Move on. I don't want to risk my son with someone involved in drugs. Period.

And I'm accused of being judgemental and on a high horse.

We kick adults out for being gay. If this guy had said he had been busted being a male prostitute but went through reparative therapy and now is straight, would you greet him with open arms too?

The History Channel recently did some great shows on how these drugs that were once legal have now become a source of most convictions for possession.

The state that I live in will now restore civil rights almost automatically for almost any offense (except for violence or sexual).

Trying to get the conviction expunged/vacated is a great idea. My neighbor did this and it granted sort of quickly, but he was finally able to sit for the bar exam. He passed at 43 yo.

I will never advocate the use of drugs for a cheap thrill. A scout in my troop though told me that the pressure starts in 5th grade. His school is in an upscale area. He got beat up by 3 kids and they forced him to swallow the crap.

"I don't want to risk my son with someone involved in drugs."

Unless your son lives in a bubble, do you not take this risk everyday? One of his teachers or ASMs could be a drug dealer, for all anybody knows. Maybe his best friend's older brother has a secret stash hidden somewhere. As parents we just don't know. You and every other parent are already taking this risk. That is why we educate our children about the dangers and attempt to instill in them the tools and knowledge to make good decisions.

"... would you greet him with open arms too?"

Who said anything about "open arms"? Why does it have to be one extreme or the other? No, it is not necessary to greet every applicant with open arms. Nor is it necessary to convene a tribunal, nor to break out the water boards, nor to circular file an application because of a 12 year old lapse in judgment.

You should treat this person the same way that you treat all applicants. And above all else, you follow YP protocol ... regardless of what is printed (or not printed) on some piece of paper!

I too am embarrassed by the un-Scoutlike treatment this newcomer received on this forum. I too have gotten, shall we say, overzealous in my comments (albeit on the I/P forum) and was quickly taken to the woodshed by my mates here. They were right, I was wrong.

The answer is, we can't do anything about it and cannot offer meaningful advice. The man was convicted of a felony. That is a fact in evidence. Several successful Scout leaders I know also fit that description. The only ones who know the whole truth are OMH, his SIL, and God.

Whether or not he is accepted for membership is NOT up to us...it's up to the CO, Committee Chair and SE of the council. Those are the only ones who will be approving his application...not ANY of us. Will this stand in the way of his membership? Who knows? ... I know of stranger things that the BSA has done.

OMH...good luck and God bless.

Perhaps this man would have received more encouragement in getting involved with Scouting if he had suggested he start as an MBC or ASM, letting the adults in district, council, and the troop see that his record is, indeed, a thing of the past.

Perhaps starting as SM is overly ambitious for a felon.

During the course of my bitter divorce, my estranged wife called CPS about a dozen times, as a harassment strategy. Finally when they found her new boyfriend's bong in her half of the duplex we shared, we both got written up. Every year I have to check box 6c on the application and explain on the three lines below. Luckily the COR's and CC's have usually met my kids by then, who are bright shining references in themselves but I am also honest and open about my mistakes. Like not moving out when she moved in.

If I were a COR or CC, and someone came to me with the explanation the OP gave, I'd have no problem turning him down flat. "It's not mine" is a constant refrain to police in such cases. I'd want to hear more from the OP about the relationship with his sister-in-law - to wit, why he apparently took the fall for her and didn't pursue an appeal. A felony drug conviction is a huge disqualifier from all types of employment, not just a volunteer job in Scouting, so the OP should have known that this case would have far-reaching impacts.

I certainly believe in redemption and change, and that good people can make mistakes. But I'd take a very careful look at this case.

And yes, Curious, I also would request the original documents and files - not to judge the case again, but to see if he ever brought the issue of ownership up to the police officer or at trial. If he didn't put the "it's-not-mine" argument on the record then, that's very telling now.

If OMH is still here lurking, I wish him the best of luck.

Bottom line - an arrest record does not mean automatic exlusion from holding membership in the BSA.

Conversely, not having an arrest record does not mean automatic inclusion into the BSA.

If one wants to be a member, see if you meet the membership reqirements and if so be truthful, apply and go for it.

Shortridge,

Perhaps my willingness to believe the 'It's not mine!' argument is based on the many times that I have helped friends/acquaintances move. If you own a truck, you're everybody's friend on moving day. And nobody is going to dig through boxes to check for dope.

I accepted the first statement: 'I went to Florida to help my sister in law move'.

So 1- He was unaware of the contents of his vehicle, and 2- he'd be a real fool to take a dealer quantity of cocaine and 3- unsuspectingly give a state trooper permission to search his car.

Taking the fall does raise a flag; but it was 12 years ago. I like to that my judgement has improved over 12 years.

You?