Patrol/Troop Recognition

Back in December, I found a 4 year supply of Patrol of the Month ribbons in 6 colors. We have loosely had a PotM award ever since, but it has been largely skewed by the SPL awarding the patrol from which he came (we only have 2 active patrols right now). As such I came up with a hard point system, and included some variable points awarded by the SPL. What do you think of this:

Max Pts Item Description0-20 Patrol Spirit Scaled 1-10 score for overall patrol spirit for the month (assigned by SPL)10 Patrol Assignments Performing patrol assignments (Service,Spirit, Program) to the satisfaction ofthe SPL5 Merit Badge For each Merit Badge Earned15Rank AdvancementFor each Rank Advancement earned10 Uniforms For 75% of attending patrol members being in acomplete uniformat 3 of 4 (or 4 of5) troop meetings each month10Meeting Attendance For 75% of the patrol attending 3 of 4meetings duringthe month10 Campout Attendance For 75% of the patrol attending themontly campout10 PLC attendance For having the PL or APL attend the montly PLC meeting10 Patrol Meeting For each Patrol Meeting (outside of troop meetings) 15Patrol Outing For each Patrol that month25 Patrol Campout For a Patrol Campout that month

The first 2 items are for the SPL (the first is scaled, and the second is all or nothing) this still gets the SPL involved, but it makes the rest more "fair." Obviously this is meant to encourage patrol activites and participation. I have though about giving points for recruiting a new patrol member but I am undecided on that.

Your thoughts?

I might make it a certain amount of points for 75% attendence at each meeting for each patrol (meeting attendence) instead of 75% of 3 of 4 (or 4 of 5) so that if there are two bad weeks in a row (due to a flu bug, or whatever else) the patrol wouldn't just give up on attendence points altogether, but that's just me.

It looks pretty good/

I would be inclined to remove patrol recogition from the hands of the youth leadership to avoid the appearance of bias, or at least some of the recognition. Stirring up a little competition among the patrols is a good way to generate interest and improved performance in those areas you choose to recognize.

"I would be inclined to remove patrol recogition from the hands of the youth leadership..."

eisely, Sorry, I am just a little slow this morning, but I don't understand what you are saying here.

Thank you for your insight.  This is still a work in progress, and this is a first draft.  If you look at this (and consider my earlier comment regarding recognizing/rewarding new scout recruitment) you will see that there is a great similarity between what is being recognized here and the National Honor Patrol award.  The time frame for the NHPA is 3 months.  This is being set up as a stepping stone (with inter-troop recognition) to earn this award. 

Remember too, that when these awards were purchased, there were 6-8 active patrols in this troop.  With only two now, it does dilute the significance of the Patrol of the Month, but it does foster a strong sense of patrol competition.

I was about to say check out the NHPA, but it seems you are.

I would use that as the basis for this recognition. This will help in your 'stepping stone' approach. Thus, a patrol that achieved 'patrol of the month' for 3 months in a row could achieve the NHPA.

Can more then one patrol be 'patrol of the month'? To me, PotM is only for one patrol. I would think you would want a recognition that ALL patrols can and should achieve ('quality patrol' if the will).

If you want patrols to 'stretch' themselves, make the award system a tier system (other orgs do this with their group quality system). So if they met a certain level they get a certain recognition, if they go further a met a higher level, they get a different recognition, etc.

Over the Summer, PLC indicated the desire to install some type of Patrol competition in the Troop as a way to strengthen the Patrols. I have handed the above check list to aour upcoming SPL give him a basis to develop his own. I'll let you all know what he and the other youth come up with.