I wish they would make up their minds on helath forms

So my 14 year old son had a school physical this past month and we had the new health form filled out also. We thought we were all set for next years camp and Jamboree. Now we just got the Jamboree health form in email. It is basically the same form, except it now requires that body fat percentage be filled in. According to the form this data is used in addition to (not in place of or as an alternate to) the height/weight tables to determine participation in certain events. So it looks like this field is needed.

So it looks like another Dr. appointment (costing us a copay assuming that insurance considers this a valid reason for a visit) to get this new test so the revised health form can be filled out. (Do all doctors even test for body fat?)

This is getting expensive. Hopefully nothing more is added to the forms in the near future.

On an only slightly related matter how about some sane tables? This boy weighed in slightly into the overweight (ie in the acceptable allowance) category-- he had his shirt off at home the other day. I can count his ribs. When he streached and sucked his stomach in, his rib cage stuck out a good two inches from his stomach. If this is overweight, I would not want to see what underweight would be.

IMHO the other form is valid for one year and is valid for the Jamboree. Contact them and ask to be safe but I do not think you need to get another physical just to fill in one more blank. BTW, I think your son has already been tested for % body fat (doctors/medical professionals on this forum help me out here-this is the same as BMI, right?) as it is calculated from the height and weight. BMI calculators are available online.

Looking at the FAQs for the Health form it looks like the BMI figure is not required anyway. http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/HealthandSafety/Resources/MedicalFormFAQs.aspx

In fact, the height/weight table doesn't apply to the Jamboree anyway.

Nah, BMI is just a potential indicator, but it is not an accurate measurement of anything. The number has nothing to do with body fat percentage, only how heavy you are in relation to your height. There's a lot more than just body fat content that factors into the number.

Body fat % testing is pointless for someone whose BMI is in the normal range. The only logical use for this test in this context would be for a very muscular individual, who is actually quite fit, but whose BMI shows them to be overweight. Unlikely in an adolescent. I suppose it could also show an unhealthy low body composition, but it doesn't sound like BSA is too concerned about that.

If you belong to the Y or a fitness center, they can probably test body fat % for you.

We got told by my son's jambo troop leader that hte jambo forms are bar coded to the specific individual and that's why we cannot use the other BSA medical forms. He said in no uncertain terms, the BSA physical forms that came out last year will NOT be accepted.

Sigh. THis means I get to pay for a whole new physical completely out of pocket, because my insurance pays for one every 12 months and he already had it over the summer. We have to submit the special jambo form well in advance of the event itself, so there's no waiting until our insurance clock resets in summer 2010 to do the new physical, either.

I stand corrected regarding the definition of BFP vs BMI. However, it appears that the Body Fat percentage is an alternative approach for people who do not meet the height/weight standards but may actually be "made of muscle". Since your son is in the acceptable range it is unnecessary. I don't think any further testing is required especially considering that the height/weight standards do not apply to the Jamboree.

Hal

http://www.bsajamboree.org/prepared.html

Note the dates in the information as to when a physical exam should be conducted. July 27, 2009 is the early date. One year out from Jamboree. Every registrant to the Jamboree did acknowledge an understanding of this and the risk factors. Not a new requirement, just brought to your attention.

http://www.bsajamboree.org/med_process.html will be updated periodically. Might want to remind your Jamboree staff and participants to bookmark it.

Richard

Lisabob -- that's what our pediatrician's office does too, except they have a special "camp form fee" of $20 for filling out the paperwork. I think they get overloaded with camp forms (seems like virtually every kid 12 or under goes to some sort of day camp, or resident camp, or something).

Guy

The new Annual Health and Medical Record Part A form has been changed.

Back in July, the Medications section had 6 blocks with each block asking:

Medication:

Strength: Frequency:

Reason for Medication

Approximate date Started:

Temporary [ ] Permanent [ ]

Now the form http://www.scouting.org/filestore/pdf/34605_Letter.pdf

requires parent and/or doctor approval for each medication?????

Medication:

Strength: Frequency:

Approximate date Started:

Reason for Medication

Distribution approved by

___________________/_______________________

Parent signature.........MD/DO,NP,or PA signature

Temporary [ ] Permanent [ ]

Can't remember any notice of this change.

I wish they had a mind to make up.

My $0.02

Yeah, it doesn't appear to be the same old thing to me, either. Richard, I understand your point about knowing that things will arise as jambo approaches, but this just seems like the kind of thing that should have been ironed out before national released their new med form earlier this year. We'll deal with it, but it is just another hoop to jump through that could have been eliminated with a bit better planning at some level.