AFAIK, there is no such thing as a "classified SEAL". Once they graduate from BUD/S training in Coronado, CA, they proudly wear the "Trident" badge of a SEAL on their uniforms. It's hard to miss. Their MISSIONS are classified, and they often disappear for days or weeks at a time, unable to tell anyone, including spouses, where they are or what they did. To wit, the MAERSK Alabama rescue mission, or missions in support of the CIA.

There are also Navy personnel who are NOT SEALs, but are assigned to SEAL Teams or Special Boat Units as support personnel. They may often say "I was attached to SEAL Team TWO", which is not inaccurate, but may give people the impression that they were SEALs when in reality, they were supply clerks.

ScoutLDR- you are right. the mission may be classified but not the fact that they belong to the seals. Whats funny is that his brother actually accidently outed him but we didnt realize. At camp last year some boys mentioned that the scoutmaster was a seal and his brother (who was attending the trip) told the boys that the scoutmaster wasnt a seal and that he fuled jets. At the time we hadnt really come to the conclusion he was lying yet so we just thought the brother was ribbing the scoutmaster. now of course we look back and realize that he was actually telling the truth and just thought the boys were mistake and didnt realize they had been told that. Something else that tipped off the retired navy parent is that the scoutmaster said that when he wasnt doing his Seal work the navy would have him doing some work on the flight deck...I dont have an appreciation of what these jobs are so i dont remember what it was but apparently the general consensus of every other navy parent we have talked to is that there is no way the navy would have a seal doing this job on his down time. i get the sense that it woudl be like telling a surgeon that when he wasnt busy doing surgery he could go ahead and grab a mop and get to work until a big brain surgery case came up.

Smithgall:

Let's see now, politely put...

*You have evidence of padding the Merit Badge account of two of the Scouts. What does the Troop Advancement Chair know of this?

*You are dissatisfied with the way the Scoutmaster and the Committee Chair "handle" the Troop and the Scouts. Have you approached the Charter Org Rep and Head about this? Do you have some consensus, agreement with other parents in this opinion?

*You suspect that the SM is overreaching when he recounts his military career. Previous posters have noted places to check on this and people to help call the SM's bluff on this.

*You have been told of Mr. SM's education, but have some doubts about it's validity or appropriateness. Has anyone asked where he had his years of "child psychology"? And why he doesn't have an actual degree?

The first point of the Scout Law is "Trustworthy". And if your Troop is sponsored by a church or synagogue or temple, there are scripture to be remembered. Mat5:33 comes to mind, among others, in many traditions. Slowly, in confidence, the Scouts involved need to be reminded of this. Ordinarily, the SM might be the one to do this. However...

The actions you are considering are difficult, at best, but necessary. Remember our purpose in Scouting is shared by Bob the Tomato: "it's for the kids". If all you say is true, not only must you remove the SM (and perhaps the CCh), but you must remove the MBs from the Scouts. You cannot help but alienate the boys from their parents. I see no way to remove the one action from the other.

Confrontation is never easy. You got the Scouts, and you got the SM and CCh. Mr. and Mrs. SM need be presented with the facts as you know them, in company with the COR and COH and perhaps the District Commissioner, if you don't have a Unit Commissioner. Make sure you have "back up" and all your facts and corroboration lined up. Allow face to be saved , if possible, by the Scouts, by just quietly eliminating the MBs from their record. Allow the SM and CC to resign and fade away, so to speak, while the new leadership takes the reins.

Let the Scouts transfer to another Troop. They can start fresh, if given a chance. The adults have to do what they have to do.

All this is easy for me to say, I ain't there. God guide you in this.

As the man said, "your mileage may vary".

"Something else that tipped off the retired navy parent is that the scoutmaster said that when he wasnt doing his Seal work the navy would have him doing some work on the flight deck"

Your intuition is correct. When SEALs are embarked on a carrier, they are either running, pumping iron, eating, training on their equipment/weapons, or sleeping. Same with Marines. Flight deck work is done by the ship's company or squadron personnel.

Why don't you just confront him..."Look...eveyone knows you weren't a SEAL, so just cut the crap."

We had an adult visit our unit once looking to become an ASM...as he regaled us with wild tales of his Vietnam days in "PsyOps", our ASM just quietly listened and asked him a few questions which he couldn't answer. Our ASM had "been there" as Special Forces, and quickly established it was all BS. Never heard from him again.(This message has been edited by scoutldr)

Sorry if this posts twice - my first effort disappeared into the ether...

Find some former Seals in your area that would be interested in a 'Blanket Party'.

http://www.udtseal.org/

Ya gotta love the phone number:

757.318.FROG (3764)

If you contact Seal Heritage by eMail, you could 'accidentally' CC the liar SM. Wonder how he'll sleep knowing that the real guys are coming? ;^)

Your Charter Organization shouldn't want to be near the Poop-Bomb that will splatter everyone when this imposter is unmasked to your troop. Your main selling line to the CO should be "This SM is teaching the boys how to lie."

• 3 weeks later...

It is not the council's job. As a general rule, councils do not police troop-level advancements. They have neither the staff nor the authority to do so. Nor do most councils closely vet troop-level volunteers. This is the job of the charter organization, who must sign off on the applications of every adult volunteer. If the charter organization doesn't do its due diligence, that's their fault, not council's fault.

Eagle- we thought the same thing. We assumed the council would be all over it. Since then we have learned that the council is relatively hands off. In some respects i see that they choose to allow the charter to handle it but at the same time, what if your charter doesnt really value what we are doing? Its seems some charters have good intentions but really dont know much about scouts or take to heart what we are all about. When something like a merit badge is forged they may not see it as an insult to all the boys who work hard to actually earn it. its been a learning process thats for sure.

Lisa is right, the charter has the burden of policing the troop in that way.

to update we did leave the troop. Its a shame because the advancement chair, two ASM's, the treasurer, 3 comitee member, and 5 boys including the ASPL all left. we did start a new troop and as luck would have the pastor of the new church is a former eagle so he gets what scoust is about and we can start with a good foundation. only problem is that we are currently a troop of 5 boys and one of them is really a part timer. so recruitment is a big focus. luckily the new church also has a newer pack and they need some den chiefs for their weblos so it gives us a feeder pack. wish us luck

Smithgall, I am sure that was a hard decision to make (leaving the troop). I am happy to hear you found an organization led by an experienced scouter who will support the program and that you can begin to grow with the new pack as well. It really sounds like you are heading in the direction which is best for the boys.

It is unfortunate that some charter partners are less than involved with some units. We are fortunate that our COR is very involved with our troop his entire adult life; he earned his eagle with the same troop in 1953.

Good luck with the new unit! You sure got it off the ground in a hurry!

Le Voyageur, the organization you mentioned is where we started. One of our parents is retired navy and he was the first one to recognize some thing that were clearly wrong. we all suspected but none of us were in the navy so it was a suspicion. the other parent contacted the orginization and they gave him questions to ask like his swim buddy, class number, etc. It worked just like they said. He claimed classified for all of it and left the room. since then the orginization pulled his record and confirmed his job and rank as not a seal. whats really bad is that he needed no hype. No one cares. You are there for the boys. If you are there for right reasons then thats noble enough.

I have a piece of paper that says the Boy Scouts of America commissioned me as a Scoutmaster once upon a time. Apparently that has changed and now the CO appoints one a Scoutmaster. Yes? No?

I thought the district Advancement Committee, on behalf of the B.S.of A. decided who was legitimately an Eagle, as opposed to someone who faked earning the required Merit Badges. Apparently that has changed. Ys? No?