Scout order of the Druids

I know of one council that doesn't have OA -- they have their own honor society that reports to the SE and that's it.

I know of two districts in my area that have a "Friends of XX" group that meets privately to promote Scouting and their own goals, usually scholarships for youth for camp, Wood Badge and Philmont for leaders that can't afford it, and they serve as an influential group of "asking people" when the committee needs something done, like a new Committee Chair, big event or big FOS ask.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"I know of one council that doesn't have OA -- they have their own honor society that reports to the SE and that's it."

there are actually 2 councils that don't have OA.

Long Beach California has Tribe of Tahquitz and Pony Express Council has Tribe of Mic-O-Say.

I want to thank Capt. Stone for addressing my concerns and for starting a dialogue with me personally. If you want to know more about this society I urge you to chat with Capt. Stone. so that you may have an informed opinion and know the aims and purposes of SOD.

"I thought Heart of America also had a Lodge, and they run both programs?"

Yes, HOAC has both OA and Tribe of Mic-o-Say. Each exist at separate camps in the council. The Tribes at Pony Express & HOAC are considered the 'mother tribes' of Mic-O-Say, and own all the rights to the name/program.

The group that I started this about is now an Explorer post.This gives them some flexibility with uniform and program.

This is a very small group with members from a couple of councils districts.They are not so much an honor society as a leadership focused unit.

Actually, this SOD group reminds me of a similiar group in my old home council called the "Broke Back Dogs". Basically, a group of scouters who, amoung other things, now run their own annual camporee: the BBD Challenge.

Here is their website: http://www.brokebackdog.com/

Several scouter friend of mind are involved in it, several don't want anything to do with it. My view when I was still going back for training events at my home council was that if they asked me to join, I'd consider it. I was never asked. Whatever.