What are your units/councils doing for families in need?

Yah, in da parent thread, eghlie mentioned a lad in his unit where both parents lost jobs and consequently their house. I expect others are seein' this around the country, especially in our auto manufacturing towns.

What are we doin' as units and councils to help such kids and families in need? Any great examples out there? Any new ideas?

National's initiative to work with Bill Gates helpin' da cause of eliminating malaria overseas is just fine and all, eh? But it seems like we've got our kids and families to take care of right here where it goes to da very heart and soul of our mission.

Beavah

As far as I know and I'm ashamed to admit it! Nothing!

Right now it seems that the Council is having a hard time keeping its head above water and it really hasn't looked around to see what is happening.

A few years back the then SE and myself were going at it!

I wanted our community FOS goal to be reduced and he wanted to raise it.

I live in a small town of less than 5000.

When the Strip Malls came, it hurt the down town area. Then the strip malls fell on hard times and the bigger malls hurt the down town again. Then came the Wal-Marts Super Centers. We have 3 all of which I can drive to in less than 15 minutes.

I went down town and counted the empty stores and reported back to the SE.

He just smiled.

I kinda think the stock answer is that we are doing our bit with the efforts we put into Scouting for food and that the CO's look after their own.

Eamonn.

The only thing our unit does is scholarshipping Scouts in need. We ask them to pay the National portion of the dues, and waive the rest. We cover them for camping fees as well so that money does not stand in the way of a weekend with the Troop.

On a council level the SE wants the OA to raise more camperships for summer camp, and has extended those camperships to CSDC and resident camp.

Another council program that has been around for a while, but is being expanded and promoted heavily is the "Popcorn/High Adventure Program" Scouts can sell popcorn and keep 50% of the sale IF they register for the program. The council keeps the money until they are ready to use it. You have until 18yo to use it for jambo, Philmont, Sea Base, N Tier, or the local HA base the council runs. It is suppose to be expanded to include venturers and you have until your 21st b-day (the exec board still needs to vote on it, but considering some of the members of the board, I think it will pass). Also They may extend it to include BECHTEL FAMILY ADVENTURE CENTER in WV when it opens.

On the unit level, we are thinking about opening up individual accounts for the cubs. That way they can pay for dues and activities through that.

My son's pack will scholarship 50% of a boys dues, which is down from what they were doing. They had offered to scholarship 100% in past years, but felt with the fund raising opportunities and the lack of participation by parents of the boys receiving the scholarship that 50% should be enough. The pack offers two or three fund raising opportunities for any boy to earn his dues. We do popcorn sales and wreath sales in the fall and a yard sale in the spring for a head start on the next year's dues. The pack committee will also work with the families and create a payment plan if needed. The dues for my bear son are $140 this year.

Scoutreach dollars are available for DE's to underwrite shirts/neckers and program books to new sign-ups who are in straits. CMs/SMs are the gatekeepers.

I know a Chartered Partner which has a Saturday morning breakfast. There's an old, rich Scouter who will underwrite Scout Camp (and some spending money) if kids will bus tables for 6 Saturdays.

I'm seeing lots more use of uniform closets, and fewer Scout pants.

My district is attempting to finally start a district-wide uniform closet. Other than that, I haven't seen anything. But I also know that just because it isn't making the front page, doesn't mean it isn't happening. So it is a little hard to say for sure.

I don't know of anything the council is doing differently. They've have a campership program for years. I know this year the fund was totally drained with requests slightly more that what was budgeted.

We;re in a pretty well off part of the council. Part of my orientation to new parents has always included a bit about how financial need will never stand in the way of a boy being a Scout. Our troop is pretty well off, and if push comes to shove, I know a number of individuals who will make things happen, if needed. I can think of only one taker in the past. A couple times we've had families ask if they could spread out payments.

This year we had three boys ask apply for camperships to summer camp and for help with troop dues. All three were granted the camperships and the troop waived their dues. We had a whole bunch of families make payments. And I've noticed the uniform closet is getting a lot more use. So far the troop budget has been able to handle it. But if the trend continues we're going to have to look at other avenues.

Last spring the PLC proposed a trip to the New River Gorge to go whitewater rafting. We did in a couple years ago and it was a great trip. But the committee figured with the guide service and travel costs, we were looking at about $200 per person. I was looking at something well north of $500 for my two boys and myself. So the committee asked the PLC to suggest another activity. That's the first time that's ever happened.

Our troop has a few families, that I know of, who have lost jobs. I try and watch and see who is coming to activities and who is not and try and find out why. Most will not come right out and say it is because of funds unless you specifically ask. If I find it is because of funds I will contact parent(s) and let them know it can be taken care of.

I know our council will do the registration fees if asked to. Our troop is in a scoutreach area. Our troop is able to take care of this ourselves.

Hubby and I paid for an unemployed adult leader to attend summer camp this year because we wanted this adult be able to attend. We will continue to fund scouts or scouters who need the help to attend activites. It is kept between us and them. Small price to pay for the smiles it brings.

Bottom line is we try and take care of our own.

our troop struggled with this and quite frankly im not sure what the good answer is. There were a few boys that had similar problems and the troop paid for their summer camp. In actuality it was a few parents that donated the money anonymously. The issue that came up is you have some parents that cant afford it and other parents that just dont care so dont pay and would just let the kid not go to summer camp or anything else. How do you know the difference? The one kid that we paid for was sent to summer camp without even $10 for spending money. how can you not find $10 bucks in the year between camps?

Ultinmately the boy will suffere regardless of why the parents arent paying. This is an age old problem. we did insist that the boy work every fundraiser we held and his portion of the money went to tjose expenses. I think going forward i would rather see a partial amount like 50%. the boy raises X and the troop matches it. I dont want any boy to miss out on something but at the same time there has to be involvement from him and hopefully the parent as well.