Taking Up the Gaunlet Mr Mazzuca Lain Down...

I have a friend that complains a lot about how hard it is for her to lose weight, always hungry, and on and on. Ive told her that diet coke and low-fat twinkies and less jam on her toast is just playing games. I decided to find out how difficult it really is to lose weight. Eamonn may not approve, but I simply went on a fast; water only for 3 1/2 days. Lost 8 pounds, 155 down to 147.

She still thinks imitation sugar in her coffee is going to work. Theres only one way: eat less, a LOT less.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gern, good idea. Hope you took my last post with the spirit of humor I meant it. The truth of it is something I discovered about 20 years ago. Since then, I've relied on experience and wit to stay ahead of them.

Anyway, I'm 6'2", 200+/-a couple of pounds, 36" waist. I will get down to 185 and tone up what I have, maybe get that waist down to close to 34". Unlike Lisa (who, for some reason neglected to reveal her weight, heh, heh) I eat vast quantities of junk food and swill down sugar water in mass quantities. I think I can figure something out on how to cut back.

Edited: 20, not 29(This message has been edited by packsaddle)

When I went on trail at Philmont two years ago, I was 180. When I got off trail, I was 185. But I lost an inch on my waistline.

I'm 6'1". Since I turned 40, some 6 years ago, I can no longer drink beer with abandon, eat junk or gorge at holidays without my belly getting pudgy. Those 34 waist pants still hang in the closet waiting for my return. Pre 40, it didn't matter. I couldn't gain weight if I tried.

As for fasting, my brother in law has tried to emulate Jesus and go 40 days on water alone. He starts seeing visions about 2 weeks into it, then passes out. So he drinks protein shakes, thinking he's still fasting. It gets him through the 40 days. Whatever floats your boat I guess.

What's the joke?

"I'll have a Big Mac, Super-sized Fries, Sundae with chocolate sauce....and a Diet Coke."

Diet drinks are a good start, but it takes more than that to reduce calorie consumption for weight loss.

Fasting makes a difference short term, but long term it's actually worse because it slows your metabolism so that when you go back to eating, you burn less and store more calories.

The best solution to being hungry all the time is something my doctor suggested...grazing.

Rather than the three meals a day axiom we're all used to, cut down on what you eat at meal time and have small snacks in between meals. By having something to digest all day, you won't get as hungry and it will take less food to feel satisfied when you do. And it prevents the negative effects of part-time fasting from kicking in. Eventually your body will adjust and you will actually start to feel full on less food.

The hard part is those large holiday meals with tons of side dishes and desserts. The trick there is just to have a taste of everything, not a huge scoop.

The other key is a balanced diet, somewhere in the 30% fat, 40% carbs, 30% protein range. Those numbers vary by nutritionist, but I'd say that's average. The balance also should be changed based on a more active lifestyle.

When I first started to lose weight, I spent about two weeks counting calories, just to get an idea of calorie consumption limits and what would or wouldn't work. Apples and peanut butter, crackers and cheese make great in-between meal snacks.(This message has been edited by nolesrule)

Although I may be prejudice (I sell exercise equipment for a living), I am glad the BSA is pushing harder for its adult leaders to live up to the Scout Oath. One of the adults in my troop realize that he didn't qualify to go to Philmont. He'd been saying he needed to lose weight/get in better shape for a while, but this really spurred him on. Since January, he has lost over forty pounds. To do so, he is walking several days each week and he ate a very healthy diet that severely reduced his caloric intake (even brought his own food on camp outs). Now, his old uniform looks like a tent on him, the pain he'd been suffering for years is gone, and he feels better than he has in years. Now, his diet is less restricted, so he can eat more normally. He said it was really tough, but is incredibly happy that he did it.

I hope that more adults will take up that challenge. I'm sure their families and Scout units will greatly appreciate it.

Lots of good posts. I've been trying to do the same, and glad Mr. Mazzuca and OGE are pushing this topic to the forefront. I'll also be reporting my progress to my youth. I think they look up to their seniors' examples, even if they don't want us to know it.

My only qualm with this push is the use of BMI. BMI doesn't work-out for everyone. I'll give you one quick example of a penpal of mine from Australia:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3538/3839502848_87ce6d5d5f.jpg

She competitive rock climbs and regularly beats those who she races against.

Ignoring the Purple Hair, under BMI, do you think she is ideal, overweight, or obese?

Without revealing her weight/height (she won't do so), according to BMI, she's overweight. Yet, her doctor complains she has too little fat on her body.

For the personal record: 6'1", 225lbs. Overweight. I hardly eat snack foods. Do home cooked meals from fresh ingredients rather than premade crap/box meals from the store, keep my meal portions reasonable, and lunch tends to be on the lean side. I walk 1 to 2 miles a day regularly, never mind that I live in a multi-story house and the facilities are in the basement and 2nd floor only, so there's plenty of stair climbing every day. Due to the "wonderful" weather we've had here in the Maine wilderness, I only got to use my pool about a dozen times this summer (pool temp plummeted from 84F a week ago to 68F this morning--brrrr!!!). My weight has stayed right around 225 for the past 10 years.

Went backpacking earlier this summer and did the five mile trek to the campsite in the time I figured it would take without breaking much of a sweat. Felt great, even the following day after taking the difficult/strenuous route back.

So, please forgive me if I don't jump on the band wagon and try to lose weight. I've got little left to cut back other than giving up the 5 mile drive to work. Guess I could leave an hour or so earlier and walk it, taking my life into my hands as there are no sidewalks for most of the trip along a busy highway where folks go 5 to 10 miles over the limit. This is also why I haven't bothered investing in a bicycle. Coworker use to bike to work. She had a few to many close calls and decided that it wasn't worth her life for the extra exercise.

If only I had inherited my father's metabolism. If there were all-you-could-eat buffets around here, they'd have photos of him with notice not to serve him. He can put away a lot of food, but remains skinny as a rail.

Very true about the BMI. My ideal weight is above 25, the maximum for "normal", on the BMI calculator. It's only a decent guide if you have an average body type. When you're on the short side and a bit broad for your height (like me), you'll be hard pressed to reach a "normal" BMI unless you are actually underweight.

• 2 months later...

Just a typical Autumn day in the Pocono's for our Fall Camporee, the Fall Colors were vivid contrasting against the falling snow...

And there is I

http://www.minsi-southmountain.com/pictures/2009_Fall_Camporee/images/IMG_0308.html

About 15 lbs lighter than I was in August, but apparetnly as loose as the pants are, I have work to to, or rather

The Woods are lovely dark and deep but I have miles to go before I sleep and promises to keep

I just looked at the website that nolesrule posted...pretty neat.

Now I need one that tells me how many calories are in a Pollo Monterrey, basket of tortilla chips w/salsa, and a jumbo frozen margarita (w/salt)...at the corner Mexican joint. I guessing 200-300.