Taking Up the Gaunlet Mr Mazzuca Lain Down...

So I figured that perhaps I should do something with my physical fitness level other than point fingers at the Chief Scout executive. I plan on losing weight and being a good example to the youth I serve

So, tell you what, I am listing links to pictures of your truly, one is from an Eagle Project, I have my back to the camera, the next one is from Summer camp, I am the second guy to the left and the last one is a close personal friend of mine, Pierre DuMonde. As time goes on, I will be posting links to pictures of me so you can judge my success or lack there of.

BTW, I realize I am a fat hog, feel free to comment as well, I went after Mazzuca, I can only expect the same treatment

http://www.troop362.com/pictures/2009_pictures/090620_bk_eagle_proj/jk_069.jpg

http://www.troop362.com/pictures/2009_pictures/090718_summer_camp/54_gp_0235.jpg

http://www.troop362.com/pictures/2009_pictures/090718_summer_camp/19_gp_0082.jpg

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In all seriousness, good luck.

Yeah, you did point fingers, but at least you remembered the rest of them pointing back at you. :)

In my personal experience of trying to lose weight, the hardest part was all mental, breaking the bad eating habits (and getting off my but to go exercise, especially in the Florida summers).

OGE,

Good luck. I know I used my company's health incentive to lose 14 pounds in six months. It was a bear. unfortunately I've gained about 3 back.

I cut back on food, switched to diet drinks, and walked my tail off. I do a minimum of 10000 steps at least 3x a week, sometimes more. that helps

Again GOOD LUCK!

Still think that there is a lot to be said for a "Fat cuddly chap with a beard."!

As you know, over the years I have made a living working with diets.

I would strongly suggest that before you undertake any type of serious diet that you talk with your PCP and maybe have a chat with a RD.

Most people I know could and do benefit from a heart healthy diet and from working with a dietitian who can be a big help when it comes to choosing the right foods and the right sized portions.

Eamonn

OGE, I too wish you success. In fact, I'll take it up with you and pledge to convert some of my weight from flab to muscle. I was up on the AT today and my body let me know both about my age and how out-of-shape I am. I'm with you. I need to stay fit enough to 'be there' for my new grandchild.

Now, if only I could get hair to start growing where I want it to.

I too am "banned" from going on a high adventure trip because of my weight, wondering if/when they will have an upper limit on the memebership application for SM and ASM. I may never get down to that point again but any weight lost would be a help. Good luck to all those who take up this challange.

The last picture is not of yours truly, OldGreyEagle but of that of Pierre Alloyuois Dumonde. A French Voyageur who left the banks of the St Lawrence River to make his way in the great "nort'west". Pierre grew up listening to stories his Uncle Earl would tell of taking the big canoes across the great lakes into Canda's deep wilderness where they established the fur trade. The Voyageur is known by his signature hat, the Liberty Cap or "togue" and sash. When he first left home, his beloved Uncle gave Pierre such a hat.

Later Pierre became a Fur trapper himself but wherever he goes he still wears his hat as a rememberance of where he came from. Pierre will always wear the togue of Earl!

At summer camp (where the pictue was taken) Pierre helps at the Rifle range or so I have been told, I have never met the man but it seems wherever I am, Pierre is often seen. While we have never met we do communicate with each other. From what I understand Pierre is a pretty good guy and a strikingly handsome form of a man as well.

I too will take up the pledge.

In the two years since I left the trail at Philmont, I've put on 20 lbs. Heading back in June 2010. Gotta be ready.

Another eye opener, went mountain climbing with my son last weekend. I couldn't keep pace with him. 3500 vertical feet in 2 miles kicked ol' dad's butt. He dang near ran up it.

Gern, You're OLD! You're on the downside of life. It's OVER!

"Gloom, despair, and agony on me

Deep, dark depression, excessive misery

If it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all

Gloom, despair, and agony on me."

Maybe Hee Haw wasn't so bad....

Ok, in the spirit, lets post our current weight, our target weight, time to target, course to target.

I'll go first.

Current: 205 lbs

Target: 185 lbs

Time to Target: 12/31/2009

Course:

Eat smaller lunches (I already eat a small breakfast and moderate dinner),

drop the brew (don't need it anyways),

ride my bike, swim and hike more.

I'm embarking on a project this year that's going to take up a large part of my "free" time and then some, not to mention being kind of high stress. So I had been thinking that I needed to build in hard-set time for physical activity too because it is a huge stress reliever for me. But I hadn't actually gotten around to doing that. And I'm about 15 lb over where I want to be now, as well.

So I'll take up the challenge. I'm going to re-up my membership in the local gym (to do strength training, mostly) and do more walking/hiking. And drink less wine. I already eat pretty reasonable meals and I rarely to never drink soda or eat junky snack food. Goal: lose 10 lb and maintain my sanity, by the end of November. Will post updates (but not photos, man you're brave OGE!) here from time to time.

This thread is full of WIN. :)

I was talking to the adult leaders of one of the troops in my district. They were telling me that even with the high calorie diets supplied at Philmont, a couple people in their trail crew lost about 15 lbs on the trip.

One thing is for certain, if you are living a sedentary life style, you probably need less than the caloric intake values listed on the side of the box. For those of you who are serious, I found this nifty caloric intake calculator which bases its estimate on age, gender, height, weight, and physical lifestyle. It even lists intakes based on need for maintenance or weight loss.

http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm

Of course, each person is different, so these are just guidelines.

I'm short, and I sit in front of the computer most of the day. So for me, I need about 1800 calories to maintain my weight, 1500 to lose about a half a pound a week.