What did you call your Scoutmaster?

Ask a kid my father was the Scoutmaster and most of the Scouts called him "Mr. K" (as you might guess our last name starts with a 'K').

I myself called him Dad. It felt weird to call him that while everyone else called him "Mr. K", so I tried calling him Mr. K. That was weird too.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I was a kid, we referred to the adults as Mr. and Mrs. (we had a mom as our Committee Chair for a time, which was quite unusual then). When I was not at a meeting, my ASM, who became my Scoutmaster, was a great friend and mentor, so he was Jim to me. We're still great friends to this day.

Now in my troop I insist that the boys use the formal Mr. or Mrs. to address adults, as a sign of respect, but I will allow the older boys to call me by my first name when not at the meetings, and they do...

Mostly the boys call all the adults Mr or Mrs XXXX. We also have the uniquely southern tradition of calling women by their first name with miss in front such as Miss Jenny... i never understood why we do that since i am a yankee transplant but if you are from the south its as natural as grits and cornbread

It was Mr. _______, and I grew up on a military base as well, but all unit leaders were still Mr. _______. Including my father, who served as SM and as CC at different times while growing up, I still called him Mr. ________ while we were at Scouting events.

It didn't matter if the leader was a COL, SGT, or PVT, they were all still Mr. _______.

My Scoutmaster's name was George and we all referred to him respectfully as George. He was our mentor and our friend. I hail from a small dysfunctional troop that developed into a functional troop through George's watchful hands-off approach. He allowed the boys to learn and fail, lead and stumble, follow and grow. We had one Assistant and we referred to him by his first name as well, Sam.

Maybe it was a different era or something else, but at the end of the 70's in central PA it seemed that things were a little looser when it came to names and addressing adults. Today, the boys in our troop refer to the adults by Mr. or Mrs. I live close to a southern military installation now which may have a lot to with it. I also encourage my own children to refer to elected officials by their title when they talk about them out of respect for the office, so maybe some of it has rubbed off on me too!

In our Troop its Mister or Misses 'FirstName'

We have some tough last names and this was a good fit for us.

When I was growing up the SM was called Mr. 'LastName'

When we found out he was stealing money and equipment from the BSA and the Troop his name he was called changed quite a bit!(This message has been edited by eghiglie)