What did you call your Scoutmaster?

I know in the past there was some discussion about what Scouts should call their Scoutmaster's?

I'm just wondering what you called your SM?

Back when I was a Scout most Scouts in the UK used Skip or Skipper.

Eamonn.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a youth, we called the SM by his first name, Clarence, until he retired from work and scouts. The new SM was Mr. something, I don't even remember now because I quit scouting at the time he came in.

Now my Scouts call me Mr Killian and I call them all Mr. ________.(This message has been edited by artjrk)

Growing up - it was "Bill." The rest of the adult leaders were "Mr. X" The Scoutmaster insisted on his first name.

In my troop, it is "Mr. X" for all adult leaders (or Mrs. or Dr. actually).

Except... Eagles can call me by my first name. I consider an Eagle to be my peer in Scouting, the same as an adult leader.

In our troop all of the adults, including parents, are addressed as Mr. or Mrs., sometimes Ms. or Miss.

In the South, outside of dens of iniquity like Atlanta, Charlotte, and a suburb of Raleigh called Chapel Hill, children are still taught to address adults formally, unless they are in a more familiar setting like a family gathering. Then it's Uncle X or Aunt X, etc. My children addressed me as 'father' until their peers use of 'daddy' intruded. We compromised on 'dad'. I expect my grandchildren to address me simply as 'grandfather'.

The Mr. or Mrs. address is common both in and out of scouting.

Growing up it was

Mr. Joe

Mr. Tom

Mr. Mike

Doc Jennings (yep a MD)

etc. EXCEPTION would be to the 18-21 YO crowd. Either it was first name, if you were in the troop with them as a youth, or last name if you came into the troop after they turned 18. Don't ask where that came from.

My first Scoutmaster I called DAD!

Thereafter it was always Mr.____

In our troop today all the adults are called Mr.____ or Mrs.____. OK, they do call me Mr. M., as my last name can be a little confusing!