When I received my copy of Scouting and had glanced through and seen the picture of those three obviously overweight men, the incongruity with the aim to tame this countrys obesity epidemic didnt escape me.

I attended a cardiology update a while back and the presentation of the trend of obesity in our nation is indelibly stamped in my mind. If youve never seen this obesity trend map, I highly encourage a visit (http://www.cdc.gov/obesity/data/trends.html).

Early this year I attended a weekend of National Camping School for Cub Scout Day Camp positions. It seemed that close to the majority of the staff and students were overweight; more than a few were morbidly obese. And all throughout the weekend, what did they do but eat. With as much junk that was eaten during the training sessions it shocked me that they had any appetite at all when it came time for meals! I suppose a few silly songs burn more kilocalories than I had imagined. (To their credit, though, they certainly appeared to be devoted to a good cause. Being Scouters, not eating.)

Being a hospital pharmacist, I think I could come pretty close to disclosing the medication cocktails our Key 3 are probably taking. Would you think hypertension, hyperlipidemia, and diabetes are a foregone conclusion? The marks of a CPAP mask werent obvious to me, but I be willing to bet obstructive sleep apnea is also there in diagnosis. And how about those knees? Reckon theyve been replaced?

Its no secrete that staying fit is usually a challenge. My incentives are the desire to not spend my income on licit (or illicit) drugs and to stay in shape for the days ahead when my son will be able to go on some substantial adventures. Perhaps Ill climb Aconcagua, again!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"So all else being static, if you stop drinking one can per day, you would lose 10 lbs per year. Now what is most common to overweight people in their diets? The ubiquitous soda in their hand. "

There's 3 to not quite 4 cans of soda in one of those 44oz convenience store plastic cups, depending on ice level.

Another major issue is portion control. Restaurant portions are getting larger all the time, mainly as a way to charge more for the meals than anything else (but that's another issue). I used to eat a footlong sub at Subway all the time. I still buy the footlong, but eat half now, half for another meal.

If you willingly consume smaller portions, eventually you will be satisfied and feel full eating the smaller portions.

I learned a lot of this stuff because my weight loss was informed and supervised by my doctor and his nutritionist wife.

What I find personally is that heavy exercise suppresses my appetite. I have to wait for quite a while before it returns and then I'm easily satisfied. But I do need more exercise even though I have luckily avoided the weight problem.

Consume less and exercise more, your body will adjust. If you start to eat good foods, your body will hate you anytime you eat junk food or soda. Do the opposite, and your body will adjust and crave those junk foods. It is personal choice, scouts should lead by example.

I always admired Pres. Bush for his level of fitness. He inspired me to get fit, and it works. He is exceptionally fit and healthy for his age.

If we are going to compare the physiques of the presidents lets remember that when BSA was founded, Howard (got stuck in a bathtub) Taft was president. Since then it appears that presidents have gotten thinner (not hard when you start with TAftand scouters have gotten fatter.

Maybe it is easier when you've got a bunch of Secret Service agents for jogging buddies.

Hal

• 1 year later...

I don't want this to come across as gloating, but I'm down 25 since 8/1, with about 17 to go to hit the high-end of the high adventure range. Our summer camp uses that same guideline for backcountry trips, and this last year I wouldn't have been eligible to go on one.

Weight loss is a strange and wonderful, and sometimes elusive, thing. Feels great when it works out right.

As I'm enjoying my super-sized Cheesburger and French Fries, I want to remind everyone the importance of eating your vegetables (steamed of course) and have some fruit.

Seriously, we Americans consume way too much sugar and we wonder why we are fat?? Soft-drinks with an average of 10 teaspoons of sugar per 12 oz. can are a big contributor. When I cut sugar soft drinks out of my diet, that cut alone caused me to lose 15 pounds within 1 month. Not only did I lose weight but I felt much better because all of that sugar that I used to consume was making me feel lousy. We drink soft drinks like they are a "staple" part of our diet and unfortunately that's the case for millions. Avoid sugar-free soft drinks with the artificial sweetners. That stuff just keeps you craving sweets and those artificial sweetners are suspect for long-term health, but we keep drinking them anyway. It amazes me that we will knowingly put something artificial into our bodies. We get sick and wonder why. We adults can't tell our kids (scouts) how to eat because we don't know how to eat.

Me, I was doing good for a while and then my wife started plying me with cakes, pies, and lots of lasagne, you get the idea. I just can't allow food on my plate to be thrown out so I eat it. Just disappointed that I didn't lose what I hoped. On the other hand, from the looks of things, I'd still have to gain about another 50lbs to get close to Mazzuca. And boy will it be tasty getting there!?