Centennary items released Aug2009

Visited the Councils Scout Shop last night, they don't have all the new stuff but I picked up some.

Handbook, seems okay, type face size means I cant read it with out stronger reading glasses, often print is over color so harder to make out as well.

The Ring for around the World crest, A eyegrabber with metalic thread, I am concered how it will hold up to wear and washing, at $1.49 I can put several in my collection and wear one.

The temp patch item#18143, a good looking square patch, fully embrodered, will wear it on my Den Leader shirt for school recruitment night, but not the ring as well. There is another one with places to dangle mini ribbons, hope to avoid that one.

There is a large one too, the cataloge lists it as fully embrodered but mine is not, does have the tiny universal pin though.

The freebe cataloge, some neat stuff but also pages of things I'dd never want.

Cool item alert!

#24280, 100 Anniversary Stainless Steel Carabiner Mug $9.99

built in clip so it saves weight on your belt, wish the inside was better polished and its a bit smaller at 10oz than the cups I normaly use. Bought two and would still be thrilled if somebody gave me another.

"The Ring for around the World crest"

This patch has been discussed on other threads. I got one for my collection. Have no plans to put it on any of my uniforms...

"The temp patch item#18143, a good looking square patch, fully embrodered, will wear it on my Den Leader shirt for school recruitment night, but not the ring as well. There is another one with places to dangle mini ribbons, hope to avoid that one."

The temp patch has been out for some time. I have one in my growing centennial collection. There is a neckerchief slide out. A neckerchief is supposed to be coming soon.

Uh, why avoid the Year of Celebration patch? The ribbons are for the 5 awards people can earn as part of this program. A change from all the patch awards during the 75th. I plan on working on them. Not sure I'll wear the patch that often.

I really don't like the way temp patchs that hang from the button look, adding streames makes it worse. Others can do as they like, it's not for me.

Saw the slide, didn't grab me, they might have had the necker, was getting late and I had enough stuff on the counter already.

The catalog shows a cool backpatch #18167 thats on my list of wants.

I found if you go to the on-line Scout Stuff catalog, go into "Collector's Corner" and go into "BSA2010" you'll see a LOT of Centennial items I hadn't seen popup in the 'new' section.

I see a lot of stuff I want. Several that are too expensive! They have the backpatch, neckerchief, belt buckle and more.

One of the new centennial items released is a collection of puzzle emblems (#18175), sold as a set, with BSA emblems from the last 100 years. I find it interesting what they include:

* a Rover Scout emblem

* a Sea Scout emblem

* an Explorer Scout emblem (1940s)

* an Explorer emblem (1950s)

* a Knights of Dunamis emblem (forerunner to NESA)

* 3 Air Scout emblems

* an OA emblem- the "mgm indian head"

* the only jambo emblem is the 1935 one, the one cancelled.

But no Exploring emblems from the 60s or later. And Air Scouts get 3 emblems!!!

Here is what the emblems are, going clockwise from the right side of the large first class emblem.

Squadron Leader (Air Scout Advisor), adult Explorer Scout patch, a Bicentennial Award [believe Heritage'76], 1935 Jamboree patch, Explorer rating strip (50s), Sea Scouts sweater patch (30s/40s), Varsity/Venture letter, Flaming Arrow patrol medallion, Arrow of Light, Eagle Scout, Order of the Arrow, WWII War Service patch, Knights of Dunamis, Air Scout Aeronautics merit badge, Boy Scout World Conservation Award, Venturing logo, original Schiff Scout Reservation patch, Air Scout Ace patch, original Den Mother emblem, original Leadership Corps patch, BSA contingent patch to early World Jamborees, Cub Scout Wolf patch, Tiger Cubs strip, Rover Scout emblem, Lone Scouts emblem (older standing indian one), Woodcarving Merit badge, BSA 25 year veteran patch, Webelos den patch, old Camping merit badge, old red/white council strip, original Philmont 'dollar' patch with 2 segments.

Am fairly certain I'm correct. But if not, chime in.

Nick,

they'll be here soon enuff. takes a while to get stuff shipped form China.

Sherm

I hear ya about the 4th corner. I have a few neckers with 4 corners b/c I straight dance. BUT I like three corners b/c #1 a scout is thrifty and it should cut the cost in half, and #2 Symbolic reminder to Do our duty to God and Country, Others and Self.

• 2 weeks later...

"""""""""""""Cool item alert!

#24280, 100 Anniversary Stainless Steel Carabiner Mug $9.99

built in clip so it saves weight on your belt, wish the inside was better polished and its a bit smaller at 10oz than the cups I normaly use. Bought two and would still be thrilled if somebody gave me another."""""""""

Well not so cool after all, took it to the first scout meeting of the fall last night, pulled it outa the bag and it looked wrong, seems the spot welds that held the carabiner/handel on

had failed, now I have a pencil holder, nutz. You can barely see where the spot welds were, not good quality control! Dread looking at the other one still new in box.

Mug Update:::::::::::::

Opened up the 2nd cup and inspected the spotwelds,

they look good to me and I have a background in metal work,

the first mugs welds didn't look like much but I figgered there was

a way of doing the spot weld that looked nicer than what I was used to.

I really hope I got the only defective mug made,

but I wouldn't take that bet.

I'dd say go ahead and buy them, but inspect each one,

would feel worse giving one as a gift

and having it fail than losing my own.

Will call ScoutShop today and let them know about the proablem.